This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Opening pdfs via "system handler" won't work (but other file types work)
I want to open pdfs from firefox (snap 101.0.1) with the default application of the system (Xubuntu 22.04) and not open them in a new tab within forefox.
But it does not work, as if there was a problem with the system handler but only for pdfs and not for other file formats.
More details :
- I changed Preferences/general/Applications for pdfs to use either "always ask" (and then chose "open" " With system handler" when asked) or "default system application". In both cases the pdf is downloaded but not opened. If I right click on the downloaded pdf in the list of downloaded files and then chose "open with system handler", nothing happens.
- Opening the pdf inside Firefox works well and opening pdfs saved on my disk (outside firefox) as well.
- Opening other file format by choosing to open them from firefox with the system handler works well too (tested eg with .torrent, .xls, .tif,...).
- I tried to change the default system application for pdf (Atril) to other softwares without success (Okular, Evince).
- If I try to open a .djvu file with the "system handler" it is opened correctly using Atril which is the also default for pdfs... So Atril works for .djvu files but not for pdfs...
- I tried to replace the handlers.json file from my profile by a handler.json file from a brand new profile, without success (I still have a backup of my old profile file if needed). I did that because opening with the system application worked before and the bug appeared after I changed all applications preferences to "always ask" (and there were a lot of them in my rather old handlers.json file).
All Replies (3)
So you are saying that you do not get this? see screenshot
Try downloading Firefox from Mozilla, run it from the folder and see if you have the same issue. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-release
Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20220609 KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.5 KDE Frameworks Version: 5.94.0 Qt Version: 5.15.2 Kernel Version: 5.18.2-1-default (64-bit) Graphics Platform: X11 Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4810MQ CPU @ 2.80GHz Memory: 31.0 GiB of RAM Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Modified by jonzn4SUSE
No, I don't see a list of available applications (see screenshot). As far as I understand it, Mozilla pushed ubuntu to distribute firefox as a snap which explains why firefox hasn't access to the system applications directly and uses this "system handler" for that purpose. I would prefer to stick with the mozilla version provided with the distribution...
You can download Firefox from Mozilla and just run it from the folder. I have just about all version running from a folder in my Download folder plus the distro version. see screenshot