Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Mulongo oyo etiyamaki na archive. Tuna motuna mosusu soki osengeli na lisalisi
Solved Eza archivé

How do I disable not just LINK prefetching, but DNS prefetching in FF7/FF8?

justthisguyyaknow

I have a local (intranet) file with hundreds of links to various sites, which is my FireFox home page.

I don't wish all of these links' IP addresses to be requested constantly, when I will be clicking on approximately one at any point in time.

Even with [link] prefetching disabled in about:config, the [DNS] requests are still prefetching. There was a way, I believe, to disable this in the FF3 or so configuration, but I can't find it in newer versions.

I have a local (intranet) file with hundreds of links to various sites, which is my FireFox home page. I don't wish all of these links' IP addresses to be requested constantly, when I will be clicking on approximately one at any point in time. Even with [link] prefetching disabled in about:config, the [DNS] requests are still prefetching. There was a way, I believe, to disable this in the FF3 or so configuration, but I can't find it in newer versions.

All Replies (1)

Solution eye oponami

Problem solved! I was looking in about:config for the name "network.dns.disablePrefetch", so I could set it to True. I couldn't find this in the config anymore, so I asked the question.

Turns out, even FF8 will still obey this setting, though the actual entry must be explicitly entered. To do this, if anyone's needing such info:

  1. Open Firefox, and enter About:config into the address bar.
  2. Right-click on the list of entries; new >> boolean.
  3. The name for the boolean: "network.dns.disablePrefetch" (exactly as shown, but not including quotes).
  4. The value: True