Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

what happened to my downloads after either the last update or the one before

Patricia

?/





Why doesn't firefox/mozilla realize senior citizens especially ones who didn't use a computer in their line of work and taught themselves how to use a computer 20 years ago and have bought four dell computers as close to the one they had before to keep from having to learn new things. Some of us have no friends, neighbors or family to help when there is a problem..I can usually figure out how to fix issues I have had with the computer Either the last update or the one before took away the #3 profile I had and left me with no downloads, missing bookmarks and extremely anxious and depressed. My computer is my lifeline because I don't have a working car. I use it to watch YouTube TV, answer questions, order my groceries online and keep me learning about everything that's going on in this world and with my health issues. After a hospitalization three months ago my mind and memory are still not back to where they used to be and with these new updates I'm unable to get my computer back to the way it used to be. Can someone please help this old lady try to fix my lifeline?

?/ Why doesn't firefox/mozilla realize senior citizens especially ones who didn't use a computer in their line of work and taught themselves how to use a computer 20 years ago and have bought four dell computers as close to the one they had before to keep from having to learn new things. Some of us have no friends, neighbors or family to help when there is a problem..I can usually figure out how to fix issues I have had with the computer Either the last update or the one before took away the #3 profile I had and left me with no downloads, missing bookmarks and extremely anxious and depressed. My computer is my lifeline because I don't have a working car. I use it to watch YouTube TV, answer questions, order my groceries online and keep me learning about everything that's going on in this world and with my health issues. After a hospitalization three months ago my mind and memory are still not back to where they used to be and with these new updates I'm unable to get my computer back to the way it used to be. Can someone please help this old lady try to fix my lifeline?

All Replies (1)

Hi Patricia,

I'm sorry this has been so stressful. The good news is that an update does not necessarily mean your bookmarks and other Firefox data have been deleted. Firefox stores this information in a profile, and sometimes after an update Firefox starts using a different profile. Your old profile may still be there.

Before changing or deleting anything, please try this:

In Firefox, type about:profiles into the address bar and press Enter. You may see several profiles listed. Do not click any Remove buttons. Look for another profile and click Launch profile in new browser. Check whether your missing bookmarks and other information appear in that window. If you find your old information, go back to about:profiles and click Set as default profile for that profile.

Mozilla specifically recommends this procedure when bookmarks and other personal data disappear after an update.

One important point: Firefox's profile also contains the list of downloaded files, but the actual downloaded files are normally stored separately in your computer's Downloads folder. So we may need to look at that separately if the files themselves are missing.

Please don't uninstall Firefox, delete a profile, or use any “Remove” option yet. If you tell us what you see when you open about:profiles, we can take this one step at a time.

Yi tambaya

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.