Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Beta: after QR import, Google accounts show "restore apps" screen, blank accounts.google.com page, and an email address prompt

rhall5

Device: Google Pixel 10 XL, Android 17 App: Thunderbird Beta for Android 24.0b2 Desktop: Thunderbird 157.0.1 (64-bit, release channel)

I imported my eight accounts from Thunderbird Desktop using Tools > Export for Mobile and scanned the QR codes in the beta app. The scan worked and the accounts imported, but setup had several confusing steps:

1. For each Google account, an Android screen appeared saying "select which apps to restore", as if I were setting up a new phone. I didn't know what to select, so I skipped it each time. 2. After skipping, a blank accounts.google.com page appeared. I never saw a normal Google permission screen. 3. After the last account, the app showed a screen asking me to enter an email address and would not let me continue. When I pressed back and reopened the app, all accounts were there and receiving mail, so it seems to be a leftover add-account prompt after a successful import.

For comparison, with the stable app, the same accounts imported into K-9 Mail with the same kind of QR code with no restore-apps screen, no blank page, and no extra prompt. Gmail accounts signed in normally.

The accounts work, so this is about confusing setup steps rather than lost data.

Expected: Google accounts sign in through the normal permission flow without the Android restore-apps screen, and the app goes to the inbox after import without asking for another account.

Device: Google Pixel 10 XL, Android 17 App: Thunderbird Beta for Android 24.0b2 Desktop: Thunderbird 157.0.1 (64-bit, release channel) I imported my eight accounts from Thunderbird Desktop using Tools > Export for Mobile and scanned the QR codes in the beta app. The scan worked and the accounts imported, but setup had several confusing steps: 1. For each Google account, an Android screen appeared saying "select which apps to restore", as if I were setting up a new phone. I didn't know what to select, so I skipped it each time. 2. After skipping, a blank accounts.google.com page appeared. I never saw a normal Google permission screen. 3. After the last account, the app showed a screen asking me to enter an email address and would not let me continue. When I pressed back and reopened the app, all accounts were there and receiving mail, so it seems to be a leftover add-account prompt after a successful import. For comparison, with the stable app, the same accounts imported into K-9 Mail with the same kind of QR code with no restore-apps screen, no blank page, and no extra prompt. Gmail accounts signed in normally. The accounts work, so this is about confusing setup steps rather than lost data. Expected: Google accounts sign in through the normal permission flow without the Android restore-apps screen, and the app goes to the inbox after import without asking for another account.

All Replies (1)

Hi rhall5

Please create an issue report on github with your beta testing feedback. https://github.com/thunderbird/thunderbird-android/issues

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.