Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Rechercher dans l’assistance

Évitez les escroqueries à l’assistance. Nous ne vous demanderons jamais d’appeler ou d’envoyer un SMS à un numéro de téléphone ou de partager des informations personnelles. Veuillez signaler toute activité suspecte en utilisant l’option « Signaler un abus ».

En savoir plus
Résolu Archivé

I had a problem with slowness so I used "reset". The popup ran forever so I stopped it. Now I can't remove or add the program.

bwswede

I had a problem with slowness so I used "reset". The popup ran forever so I stopped it. Now I can't use, remove, or add the program. How do I proceed?

TIA, BWSwede

I had a problem with slowness so I used "reset". The popup ran forever so I stopped it. Now I can't use, remove, or add the program. How do I proceed? TIA, BWSwede

Toutes les réponses (8)

Solution choisie

Try to create a new profile.

See "Creating a profile":

If the new profile works then you can transfer some files from an existing profile to the new profile, but be careful not to copy corrupted files.

Which problems did you have that you wanted to reset Firefox?

Did Firefox create an Old Firefox Data folder on the desktop?

If you reset Firefox then a new profile is created and some of your data (bookmarks, passwords, cookies, form data) is automatically imported and your current profile will be moved to the desktop (Old Firefox Data).

Thanks for your help, but your solutions are over my abilities. I need something simpler to fix the problem. I receive an error message now when I try to start the program. It says "Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It must be missing or inaccessible".


Thank you, BWSwede

You can delete the profiles.ini file to force Firefox to create a new default profile.

The "Application Data" folder in XP/Win2K and the "AppData" folder in Windows Vista and later Windows 7+ versions are hidden folders.

Thank you.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/profiles.ini_file talks about Profile Manager. I didn't use that to make any changes.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Firefox talks about finding a profile folder, but not what to do with it.

Your directions are too advanced for me. I uninstalled Firefox so I could start over. I reloaded the program but it still won't run because of missing profile etc.

If I am starting over fresh why is it asking for information that should be installed with the program?

You need to delete the profiles.ini file. Apparently it is listing a default profile that is no longer present.

You can use this path to go to the location of the profiles.ini file and delete the file:

  • %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\

Thank you.

I can't find %AppData%. What is that?

Can I paste that address somewhere?

You can paste that path in the command line in the Windows Explorer file manager.