SUMO community discussions

Article Archive

1. This is implemented in the description field indeed. It was just that the privilege was not assigned yet. I did that for the reviewers group. But please don't use that feature without having discussed an article in the forum first. It will remove that article from all dashboards.

This is implemented in the description field indeed. It was just that the privilege was not assigned yet. I did that for the reviewers group. But please don't use that feature without having discussed an article in the forum first. It will remove that article from all dashboards.
  2. Thanks. Kadir. I was thinking to only use it to un-archive an article if it turns out to be a needed article. I won't archive or unarchive an article without discussion.

Thanks. Kadir. I was thinking to only use it to un-archive an article if it turns out to be a needed article. I won't archive or unarchive an article without discussion.
  3. P.S. I see that five templates were archived today (these templates are listed in the Administration category). See /forums/contributors/706452 for the background.

I was also wondering, is the Google Docs Archive list the only available list of archived articles or is it possible to generate a SUMO list somehow?

P.S. I see that five templates were archived today (these templates are listed in the [/kb/category/40 Administration category]). See [/forums/contributors/706452] for the background. I was also wondering, is the [http://mzl.la/l8gzkf Google Docs Archive list] the only available list of archived articles or is it possible to generate a SUMO list somehow?

Modified by AliceWyman on

4. KadirTopal said

This is implemented in the description field indeed. It was just that the privilege was not assigned yet. I did that for the reviewers group. But please don't use that feature without having discussed an article in the forum first. It will remove that article from all dashboards.

Scoobidiver just archived five four mobile articles. See /forums/contributors/706679 Archived mobile articles

Were these archived based on private discussion (e.g., IRC) or in another discussion forum topic?

''KadirTopal [[#post-36592|said]]'' <blockquote> This is implemented in the description field indeed. It was just that the privilege was not assigned yet. I did that for the reviewers group. But please don't use that feature without having discussed an article in the forum first. It will remove that article from all dashboards. </blockquote> Scoobidiver just archived <del>five</del> four mobile articles. See [/forums/contributors/706679] Archived mobile articles Were these archived based on private discussion (e.g., IRC) or in another discussion forum topic?

5. AliceWyman said

Were these archived based on private discussion (e.g., IRC) or in another discussion forum topic?

See /forums/knowledge-base-articles/705298.

''AliceWyman [[#post-39726|said]]'' <blockquote> Were these archived based on private discussion (e.g., IRC) or in another discussion forum topic? </blockquote> See [/forums/knowledge-base-articles/705298].
  6. Thanks for the link. That discussion asked for feedback about deleting those articles but didn't mention archiving them (which is actually a better solution). I added a note to that thread linking to /forums/contributors/706679 Archived mobile articles

Thanks for the link. That discussion asked for feedback about deleting those articles but didn't mention archiving them (which is actually a better solution). I added a note to that thread linking to [/forums/contributors/706679] Archived mobile articles
  7. I archived the following redirected articles that are localized in some locales: Organizing bookmarks (double redirect), Will Firefox work on my mobile device?, so that they don't appear in localization dashboards.

I archived the following redirected articles that are localized in some locales: [[Organizing bookmarks]] (double redirect), [[Running Firefox on mobile devices]], so that they don't appear in localization dashboards.
  8. Please resurrect Glossary; I feel that technical terms used in support articles should have a concise explanation within the support site (this applies to any documentation, not just at Mozilla). I would like to add defining references for some terms in Glossary in the form of hyperlinks. The talk page contains more info on that.

Please resurrect [[Glossary]]; I feel that technical terms used in support articles should have a concise explanation within the support site (this applies to any documentation, not just at Mozilla). I would like to add defining references for some terms in [[Glossary]] in the form of hyperlinks. The talk page contains more info on that.
  9. rss is #61 search term. Can we unarchive Live bookmarks and then update it?

ActiveX is #92 search term and "active x" is #153 search term. Can we unarchive ActiveX and then update it?

rss is [/forums/contributors/707147?last=41594&page=3 #61 search term]. Can we unarchive [[Live bookmarks]] and then update it? ActiveX is [/forums/contributors/707147?last=41594&page=3 #92 search term] and "active x" is [/forums/contributors/707147?last=41594&page=3 #153 search term]. Can we unarchive [[ActiveX]] and then update it?
  10. On the process to un-archive an article: Is admin approval needed or is it enough that the issue is opened up for discussion beforehand? Should that discussion be here or in the individual article discussion forum? If there are no objections after a reasonable time period, can any reviewer un-archive an article (and then update the Support Article Tracking page if necessary)? In any case, I would suggest that the article be updated first, using the "Edit article based on this revision" link in History, so that an up-do-date version can be approved before being un-archived.

On the requests to un-archive and update the Glossary, ActiveX and Live Bookmarks - Subscribe to a web page for news and updates articles, I've added threads and related links to each article's discussion page.

'''On the process to un-archive an article:''' Is admin approval needed or is it enough that the issue is opened up for discussion beforehand? Should that discussion be here or in the individual article discussion forum? If there are no objections after a reasonable time period, can any reviewer un-archive an article (and then update the [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Support/Article_Tracking Support Article Tracking] page if necessary)? In any case, I would suggest that the article be updated first, using the "Edit article based on this revision" link in History, so that an up-do-date version can be approved before being un-archived. On the requests to un-archive and update the [[Glossary]], [[ActiveX]] and [[Live Bookmarks]] articles, I've added threads and related links to each article's discussion page.

11. AliceWyman said

I would suggest that the article be updated first, by using the "edit article based on this revision" link in History, so that an up-do-date version can be approved before being un-archived.

I disagree. It's an intended behiavor as we don't want contributors waste their time updating archived articles as there is enough work for other articles to be updated: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Support/Article_Tracking#All_Articles.

''AliceWyman [[#post-41956|said]]'' <blockquote> I would suggest that the article be updated first, by using the "edit article based on this revision" link in History, so that an up-do-date version can be approved before being un-archived. </blockquote> I disagree. It's [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=663412 an intended behiavor] as we don't want contributors waste their time updating archived articles as there is enough work for other articles to be updated: [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Support/Article_Tracking#All_Articles].
  12. scoobidiver said

I disagree. It's an intended behiavor as we don't want contributors waste their time updating archived articles as there is enough work for other articles to be updated: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Support/Article_Tracking#All_Articles.

My point was that we shouldn't un-archive an outdated article that confuses people when they find it in their search results. After we determine that an article should be un-archived, we should update it first, if needed, and then un-archive it, since updating and approving a new revision can take weeks (or months, in some cases).

If the article is basically OK and just needs some updates to improve it, then it's fine to un-archive it first and take the time to update it later.

''scoobidiver [[#post-41957|said]]'' <blockquote> I disagree. It's [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=663412 an intended behiavor] as we don't want contributors waste their time updating archived articles as there is enough work for other articles to be updated: [https://wiki.mozilla.org/Support/Article_Tracking#All_Articles]. </blockquote> My point was that we shouldn't un-archive an outdated article that confuses people when they find it in their search results. After we determine that an article should be un-archived, we should update it first, if needed, and then un-archive it, since updating and approving a new revision can take weeks (or months, in some cases). If the article is basically OK and just needs some updates to improve it, then it's fine to un-archive it first and take the time to update it later.

13. AliceWyman said

After we determine that an article should be un-archived, we should update it first, if needed, and then un-archive it, since updating and approving a new revision can take weeks (or months, in some cases).

After unarchiving an article, you can uncheck OS and version checkboxes (desktop soon) in the article description so that it doesn't show up in search results to give you time to update it.

''AliceWyman [[#post-41962|said]]'' <blockquote> After we determine that an article should be un-archived, we should update it first, if needed, and then un-archive it, since updating and approving a new revision can take weeks (or months, in some cases). </blockquote> After unarchiving an article, you can uncheck OS and version checkboxes (desktop soon) in the article description so that it doesn't show up in search results to give you time to update it.
  14. I commented in the threads that Alice set up. I don't really think any of these three articles should be unarchived.

I commented in the threads that Alice set up. I don't really think any of these three articles should be unarchived.
  15. Copied from a new thread posted by Verdi in the Sync your Firefox bookmarks, history, passwords and more Discussion forum:

We're planning on archiving this article

Ibai, Michelle and I talked about this and decided that when How do I choose what information to sync on Firefox? is done, we should archive this article and point references to the sync key section in that article.

To me, posting Ibai, Michelle and I talked about this and decided ... is bad for morale.

Michael, if you want unpaid contributors to feel part of the process then I think that the "decision" should have been posted as a "proposal". I guess I just want to know whether those of us who don't work for Mozilla have any input in these decisions.

P.S. No one answered my question about the process to unarchive an article ... is admin approval required?

Copied from [/en-US/kb/where-can-i-find-my-firefox-sync-key/discuss/1779 a new thread posted by Verdi] in the [[Where can I find my Firefox Sync Key?]] Discussion forum: <blockquote>'''We're planning on archiving this article''' <br><br> Ibai, Michelle and I talked about this and decided that when [[How do I manage my Firefox Sync account?]] is done, we should archive this article and point references to the [[How do I manage my Firefox Sync account?#w_where-can-i-find-my-firefox-sync-key|sync key section]] in that article.</blockquote> To me, posting ''Ibai, Michelle and I talked about this and decided ...'' is bad for morale. Michael, if you want unpaid contributors to feel part of the process then I think that the "decision" should have been posted as a "proposal". I guess I just want to know whether those of us who don't work for Mozilla have any input in these decisions. P.S. No one answered my [/forums/contributors/704981?page=3#post-41956 question] about the process to unarchive an article ... is admin approval required?

16. Hey Alice,

I'm pretty sure that no one will reject an intelligent argument about the discussion matter. It's just that Ibai's main responsibility is supporting Firefox Sync users (+generally all of Mozilla's new web services). So, if he thinks an article does more harm than good to support Sync users, his opinion will have quite some weight. Not that a discussion about that would be futile, far from it, but Ibai is helping out users with Sync every day, so he is in the best position to judge the usefulness of a Sync article.

Hey Alice, I'm pretty sure that no one will reject an intelligent argument about the discussion matter. It's just that Ibai's main responsibility is supporting Firefox Sync users (+generally all of Mozilla's new web services). So, if he thinks an article does more harm than good to support Sync users, his opinion will have quite some weight. Not that a discussion about that would be futile, far from it, but Ibai is helping out users with Sync every day, so he is in the best position to judge the usefulness of a Sync article.

Modified by Kadir Topal on

17. KadirTopal said

Not that a discussion about that would be futile, far from it, but Ibai is helping out users with Sync every day, so he is in the best position to judge the usefulness of a Sync article.

Just to be clear, I did post a reply to the post about the plan to archive that article. My suggestion was to turn the article into a redirect instead of archiving it.

''KadirTopal [[#post-42209|said]]'' <blockquote> Not that a discussion about that would be futile, far from it, but Ibai is helping out users with Sync every day, so he is in the best position to judge the usefulness of a Sync article. </blockquote> Just to be clear, I did post a reply to the [/en-US/kb/where-can-i-find-my-firefox-sync-key/discuss/1779 post about the plan to archive that article]. My suggestion was to turn the article into a redirect instead of archiving it.
  18. AliceWyman said

To me, posting Ibai, Michelle and I talked about this and decided ... is bad for morale.

Michael, if you want unpaid contributors to feel part of the process then I think that the "decision" should have been posted as a "proposal". I guess I just want to know whether those of us who don't work for Mozilla have any input in these decisions.

Alice,
    Please know that I respect your opinion a great deal. We may not agree on everything but I always do my best to consider what you have to say. In this case, I was careless with my words. Ibai has been working on sync articles for a few weeks and in an effort to help him get them finished up I wrote up an email with some notes about each article and Michelle and I split the work up. While we we're doing that, we saw that we were going to have the contents of one article duplicated in another. In one of the emails I suggested we archive the one article when the other was finished. Then I forgot all about that until I was reviewing articles yesterday and saw that Sync your Firefox bookmarks, history, passwords and more had a revision waiting. So I quickly posted that thread. You're right that it should have been a proposal. I'm fine with re-directing the article if we think that will be helpful for people. Now that I think about it some more, maybe we should make the whole thing a template and keep both.

These are the kinds of things I'd love to involve contributors in. I've proposed to a few individuals (since there are so few) that we try to find a convenient time to meet each week or two via video, voice or irc but no one was interested. To me it's difficult to do big picture planning asynchronously, spread out in a zillion forum threads. I think it would be way easier and effective to do it in one place, in real time. Actually, I guess I'll ask for time suggestions in another forum and just start doing it and people will be free to join in if they want.

''AliceWyman [[#post-42208|said]]'' <blockquote> To me, posting ''Ibai, Michelle and I talked about this and decided ...'' is bad for morale. <br><br> Michael, if you want unpaid contributors to feel part of the process then I think that the "decision" should have been posted as a "proposal". I guess I just want to know whether those of us who don't work for Mozilla have any input in these decisions. </blockquote> Alice,<br> Please know that I respect your opinion a great deal. We may not agree on everything but I always do my best to consider what you have to say. In this case, I was careless with my words. Ibai has been working on sync articles for a few weeks and in an effort to help him get them finished up I wrote up an email with some notes about each article and Michelle and I split the work up. While we we're doing that, we saw that we were going to have the contents of one article duplicated in another. In one of the emails I suggested we archive the one article when the other was finished. Then I forgot all about that until I was reviewing articles yesterday and saw that [[Where can I find my Firefox Sync Key?]] had a revision waiting. So I quickly posted that thread. You're right that it should have been a proposal. I'm fine with re-directing the article if we think that will be helpful for people. Now that I think about it some more, maybe we should make the whole thing a template and keep both. These are the kinds of things I'd love to involve contributors in. I've proposed to a few individuals (since there are so few) that we try to find a convenient time to meet each week or two via video, voice or irc but no one was interested. To me it's difficult to do big picture planning asynchronously, spread out in a zillion forum threads. I think it would be way easier and effective to do it in one place, in real time. Actually, I guess I'll ask for time suggestions in another forum and just start doing it and people will be free to join in if they want.
  19. KadirTopal said

Hey Michele, I'm pretty sure that no one will reject an intelligent argument about the discussion matter. It's just that Ibai's main responsibility is supporting Firefox Sync users (+generally all of Mozilla's new web services). So, if he thinks an article does more harm than good to support Sync users, his opinion will have quite some weight. Not that a discussion about that would be futile, far from it, but Ibai is helping out users with Sync every day, so he is in the best position to judge the usefulness of a Sync article.

This is partly what my thread about the openness of SUMO was about. The discussion should still be public.

''KadirTopal [[#post-42209|said]]'' <blockquote> Hey Michele, I'm pretty sure that no one will reject an intelligent argument about the discussion matter. It's just that Ibai's main responsibility is supporting Firefox Sync users (+generally all of Mozilla's new web services). So, if he thinks an article does more harm than good to support Sync users, his opinion will have quite some weight. Not that a discussion about that would be futile, far from it, but Ibai is helping out users with Sync every day, so he is in the best position to judge the usefulness of a Sync article. </blockquote> This is partly what [https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forums/contributors/704978 my thread about the openness of SUMO] was about. The discussion should still be public.
  20. [https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forums/knowledge-base-articles/707615?last=42220 English KB Meeting announcement]
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6