I have a rather strange problem. I have 8 e-mail accounts in my Thunderbird, and I have 5 different "inboxes". So I have a main one that pulls from one account (we'll c… (read more)
I have a rather strange problem. I have 8 e-mail accounts in my Thunderbird, and I have 5 different "inboxes". So I have a main one that pulls from one account (we'll call this account #1), then my second one pulls from 3 accounts, the third pulls from 2 accounts, and the 4th and 5th each pull from a single account. I did this by using the Advanced button under Account Settings -> Server Settings to group the e-mail accounts such that they are associated with a certain inbox. There are no problems with e-mail getting to the right place when downloading them. I also use Get Selected Mails and Manually Sort Folders. The only other add-ons are Lightning and Smiley Fixer.
In most cases, when I click "reply" to a message, it will show the "from" field as the e-mail account to which the message was addressed, but this is not always the case.
For instance, on a message sent to account #1, if I just do "reply" it will insert the proper "from" address. If I select "reply all" to the same message, I get a different address - one from the 3rd inbox group, and not one I want to use! The address is uses is not the last one that was set up either, I have added the 4th and 5th inboxes since then.
Sometimes, when I am looking at a message in my second inbox, and I click to reply to a message sent to account A within that inbox, it will flip the "from" to account B.
I haven't summed up all of the issues I'm seeing, but they are all very similar. I'm sure that if I went through all the iterations I could figure out a pattern but I don't have the time. I've looked in the config file and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it. In mail.accountmanager.accounts setting, the order of the accounts seems a bit random and intermingled. The main inbox is the first one, the second is one e-mail from the 2nd inbox, the third is an e-mail from the 3rd inbox, the fourth and fifth are e-mails from the 2nd inbox, the sixth is an e-mail from the 3rd inbox, the seventh and eighth don't seem to have an ID associated with them, and the ninth and tenth are the 4th and 5th accounts - the most recently set up.
I'm wondering if I have to just re-install Thunderbird and set all this up again from scratch because something seems seriously hosed here. The only thing that looks correct is that account 1 is ID 1 and server 1, and that is set as the default account in every way I can see but it doesn't work like that. All the other accounts/ID/server numbers are out of order, which I'm sure doesn't matter.