How do I get my home page back and uninstall "home.mywebsearch"?
When I open up Mozilla Firefox the home page has been changed from "comcast.net" to "http://home.mywebsearch.com/index... Is this from Firefox? What happened to my homepage? What is this page, and how do I go back to the home page comcast.net? Who is "Mindspark" since it says it's the owner of the site when I click for more details. It says if you want to uninstall this just go to the "start" menu, "control panel" and "add/remove program" and select "MyWebSearch Bar" but this is not listed to add or remove. Can you tell me what happened and how to get my home page back? Thank you.
Every time Firefox opened
Additional System Details
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape
- Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124
- Default Plug-in
- Shockwave Flash 10.0 r32
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Java Plug-in 1.4.2 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20100401 Firefox/3.6.3 GTB7.0 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
MyWebSearch is adware.
Your issue may be caused by adware. You can run and update the following free anti virus software:
1. Malwarebytes (Free version) - http://www.malwarebytes.org
2. Spybot Search & Destroy - http://www.safer-networking.org
3.Spyware Terminator - http://www.spywareterminator.com
In addition, there are a number of forums you can use to help get rid of your infection. These include:
Restore Default Home Page
1. On the menu bar, located on top of Firefox, select Tools | Options
2. Confirm you are in the General Panel
3. Click Restore to Default
4. Finally, click OK
This is Jason with Mindspark Interactive Network Customer Support.
We would like to assure you that contrary to what you may have read or heard, My Web Search® and its related suite of products is not and has never been malware, spyware, or adware. In fact, the My Web Search toolbar has been tested by top security software companies and has repeatedly been shown to be free of any threats.
For step by step instructions, please visit: http://www.mindspark.com/main/toolbar-info/remove-mws/removemwsinst/index.shtml
Important: It is not advisable to manually delete any files or registry entries, or to use 3rd party software which may leave artifacts behind.
Please note that you will continue to see the My Web Search toolbar until you close and reopen all instances of your Web browser. A reboot will be required to complete the removal process.
Also, to reset your homepage back to your desired choice:
1. Navigate to the page you want set as your home page. 2. At the top of the Firefox window on the menu bar, click on "Tools" and select "Options". 3. If it isn't already selected, click the "Main" icon. The "Main" options panel is displayed. 4. Click on "Use Current Page". • If you have a group of tabs open, the entire group of tabs will be set as your home page. • You can also use the "Use Bookmark" button to set one of your bookmarks as your home page. 5. Click OK to close the "Options" window.
We hope this helps, and that in the future, you will take a second look at the My Web Search toolbar.
For further information on the My Web Search toolbar, or Mindspark, please see http://www.mindspark.com/main/toolbar-info/index.shtml
Use this link to uninstall MyWebSearch completely. http://www.ehow.com/how_4780067_rid-mywebsearch-toolbar.html
The link and uninstall posted by MindsparkCS just removes the toolbar and resets your home page. Their crapware is still installed on your computer!!!!
Question the integrity of any company that knows the complete removal instructions but won't publish them on their own site. Why do they want their crapware to stay on your system?
I made an awful mistake; I do not need MY WEB SEARCH IN ANY VARIATION..
How can I rid of it. It is big nuisance, all I want to do is get into firefox or google, but now my life is quite complicated.
Sorry, my mistake.
Yes, Jason, and I would like to assure you that for not being spyware, malware, etc., this thing sure acts like it. It phones home constantly and manages to still remain on my computer...even after deleting the app from my programs. I've had to resort to a very aggressive spyware removal application to get rid of your company's crap toolbar and the verdict is still out on whether it did the job. I rate applications on not just their usefulness but on the size of their footprint and how easy they are to remove if I don't want them. On a scale from 1-10, (10 being the best) MyWebSearch gets a negative 2.
In my experience MyWebSearch and Fun Web Products cause considerable problems with Firefox. Google for some indications.
One test - If you don't know how you got it , it is malware. Adware is too kind a description.
George said: Click on tools, then options, then under the “main” category, click the button for manage add ons. There you want to click on the selection at the top for “plug ins.” When you get to the “my websearch plugin stub” you want to disable it. That should make mindspark go away.
BUT we had to go into extensions to find it and disable it -- it was under extensions instead of plug-ins. Oh, I forgot to say it was called "Mapssomething." Now I don't exactly remember. Have to say, I'm not impressed with Firefox for being so unhelpful with this problem. Couldn't find anything about it on Mozilla. And as for suggestions to run ones spyware programs, I ran my various spyware programs (3 of them) and none of the rid the computer of mindspark.
Modified by pagepanther