Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

adding accounts to Thunderbird

phonmail

Hi, I have TB on one laptop with 12 email accounts. If I add TB to another laptop, can I import the accounts from the original to save time with all the password and verification steps??

Hi, I have TB on one laptop with 12 email accounts. If I add TB to another laptop, can I import the accounts from the original to save time with all the password and verification steps??

All Replies (2)

It depends. Some accounts, such as those that use OAUTH2 authentication, may prompt because the app password is unique to each PC. Otherwise, yes, everything is copied: accounts and settings and messages. The following steps have proved successful, assuming you use Windows.

BACKUP

  1. ensure thunderbird is not running
  2. enter %appdata% in search window on task bar and press Enter key
  3. this should open windows file explorer in Appdata\roaming folder
  4. highlight the Thunderbird folder and copy to external media

RESTORE

  1. ensure thunderbird is installed, run once, and NOT running
  2. enter %appdata% in search window on task bar and press Enter key
  3. delete the thunderbird folder
  4. you should be in Appdata\roaming folder , copy&paste the exported Thunderbird folder there.
  5. start thunderbird and all should be there

Hi, thanks Peter, I shall give it a try. Unfortunately the OAUTH2 condition may be a problem, but it would be a start. Many thanks 👍

Bia biabia

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.