How do I get rid of the "improved" search and how do I stop the nags to update other machines?
This "improvement" may improve your "bottom line", but does nothing for ease of use. I have other personal machines that are now getting nags to "update"... it would be nice if they were to stop.
Chosen Solution
That is a different setting, you want browser.search.showOneOffButtons, it's a bit down the page from browser.search.hiddenOneOffs.
Sorry, I meant right-click. Right-click the option and then select "Toggle".
All Replies (6)
Hi, wfa17332
If you want to restore the previously used standalone window to manage search engines then you can toggle this pref to false with a middle-click on the about:config page.
about:config page: browser.search.showOneOffButtons = false You need to close and restart Firefox to make this work properly.
You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can accept the warning and click "I'll be careful" to continue.
And to help you with the to disable the update notifications:
- Click on the menu button
, and select "Options".
- Click on "Advanced" and select the "Update" tab.
- Select "Never check for updates (not recommended: security risk).
- Click "OK".
That should stop the update notifications.
No problem getting "about:config" to come up, but this is my "browser.search.hiddenOneOffs;Google,Yahoo,Wikipedia (en),Mysearchdial" and I have no "middle click". I double click on the line and get "Google,Yahoo,Wikipedia (en),Mysearchdial" with the option to accept or cancel. I don't see how changing this will stop the "drop down", but I'll try what you say.
Chosen Solution
That is a different setting, you want browser.search.showOneOffButtons, it's a bit down the page from browser.search.hiddenOneOffs.
Sorry, I meant right-click. Right-click the option and then select "Toggle".
Worked like a champ! Thank you for the Christmas present.
No problem! Glad I could help! :)