Disable Firefox password manager
I'm a web designer and I'm having an issue were a user who is already logged in arrives on a page which allows them to update information on their account as well as update their password with a set of Current password, New password, re-enter password fields. I'm seeing that in firefox for users with password manager information saved, the first password field filled is being auto-completed by Firefox password manager and the entry field above the password reset section is populated by the username, despite the fact this field is not for a username.
I will note that this issue only occurs when the input field directly above the password field is intentionally blank (value="").
Is there any thing I can do without altering the layout of the page so that Firefox password manager will not incorrectly insert data into this field?
Additional System Details
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.13
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.65.2 for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 19.0 r0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
That is how the Firefox Password Manager is currently working. It tries to detect the password field by the type="password" attribute and assumes that the name field is the field directly before the password field in the DOM.
Here is an older blog, don't know if this still applies.
- Bug 1121127 - (passwords-2015) [tracking] Password Manager 2015
Please do not comment in bug reports