How to change permanently the Search Engine (about:config not working)
I cannot change the search engine permanently. I changed in about:config manually the search machine. But if I put in a search string into the address, the "old" engine shows me the results again. Also in the search engine management on the right side (sorry, using german version, so I'm not totally sure about the right name) I cannot delete the engine. If I delete there the search engine, FF ignores my command. Thank you for helping me!
Okulungisiwe ngu Noah_SUMO
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
- Shockwave Flash 11.4 r402
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Google Update
- NPTXSSO Dynamic Link Library
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
Is this about searching via the location bar or using the Google search bar on the Navigation Toolbar or both?
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).
- Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
If you do not keep changes then see:
If you can't make changes to the search bar then try to delete search.json file and a possible search.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder.
You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder
Hi, first I solved it in the search bar: I deleted in the searchplugins file folder the search maschine (baidu). But in the config the keyword.url and the search.engine I can't change permamently. After a new start, the values with baidu are bag. I don't see any exetensions causing this. Any idea?
ok, I reset FF and it works...
No, I started my computer this morning new and what should I say? Baidu is again in the address bar the standard search engine. Also in about config everything is unchanged! HELP!!!!!
okay i prefer google search engine so this is what i do
open up notepad in windows accessories copy and paste what i am going to type below
1) Go to your URL address bar and type about:config
2) Click I'll be careful etc.
3) Scroll to keyword.URL
4) Double click
5) Copy and paste your search engine on the text box:
For Google, http://www.google.com/search?q=
OR For Yahoo!, http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=
OR For Bing, http://www.bing.com/search?q=
OR For Ask.com, http://www.ask.com/web?q=
6) Click ok
Okulungisiwe ngu cor-el
Do you have a SearchSettings.exe program running?