Lock spell checker language setting to US English?
Every time I start Firefox, the language is set to UK English. I live in the US and the spell checker flags words that are spelled right for the US, but if I make a typo and use the UK spelling, it passes that (and I sometimes miss the typo).
I change the setting to US English and it's fine until I reboot the computer, then I have to do it all again. I admit this is a very minor problem, but it is really frustrating at times - I count on my spell checker because I do make a lot of typos and it helps to catch them (strange neurological condition I won't go into - kind of like dyslexia in the fingers).
Is there some way to FORCE Firefox to start in US English every time? Some line I could add to the about:config for instance?
OS: Linux Ubuntu 14.04LTS Using Gnome (old style) desktop only, Firefox 39.03, I usually have Thunderbird 31.8 and OpenOffice 4.1 all open at the same time, on dual monitors.
Eminye Imininingwane Yohlelo
- Citrix HDX Plugin (Linux) Version 18.104.22.1686735 (/opt/Citrix/ICAClient/wfica)
- DivX Web Player version 22.214.171.124
- This plugin provides integration with Gnome Shell for live extension enabling and disabling. It can be used only by extensions.gnome.org
- The IcedTea-Web Plugin executes Java applets.
- The Videos 3.10.1 plugin handles video and audio streams.
- Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202
- This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.
- I-ejenti Engumsebenzisi: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Note: Some software, like Advanced SystemCare with Surfing Protection, can protect files in the Firefox profile folder against changes. If you have such software then check the settings or uninstall this software.
What is the value of the spellchecker.dictionary pref on the about:config page?
Sometimes Firefox gets confused by the language code that has an underscore instead of an hyphen (en_US versus en-US). I assume that your Linux distribution comes with a lot of installed OpenOffice (or LibreOffice) dictionaries.
- /questions/992002 Why does FF have the wrong default spell-check language?