How do I permanently disable SAFE MODE startup in version 43.0b6?
I've tried every suggestion I can find online without success. I'm not a developer but I have some experience with programming, e.g. VBA, fortran, algol, etc., and I've used windows since 1981. Nevertheless I really would appreciate clear step by step directions in English.
I did a refresh using the link you provided (many thanks for that) and reinstalled a couple of my most used extensions. Everything appears to be working as I wanted it to be working. I still have to enable a few others and I will probably clean out a few that are just hanging around but that should be no problem. Thanks for the quick and easy solution to the problem.從原來的回覆中察看解決方案 👍 0
What are you trying to accomplish by disabling safe mode> Maybe that's a better place for us to start.
Every time I close Firefox and then at some later time restart it I have to re-enable all my plugins. I assume this is because it's restarting in Safe Mode. The shortcut I use does not include "-safemode" in the target string. There is no SafeMode tab in the dialog box. Safemode does not appear in the config file Shutting down and unplugging the PC then re-connecting it to the power and rebooting makes no difference. FireFox always restarts with all plugins disabled. I just want FireFox to restart with all my plugins having the same enabled/disabled status they had when I closed it.
Do you mean plugins (like Flash, silverlight, etc.) or extensions? If your extensions are starting disabled, perhaps refreshing your profile and then re-installing your extensions will help. Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings
Please see the image attached.
So the only plugin actually disabled is Java (which is out of date and should be updated) the rest are set to "Ask to Activate". Why do I have to click to activate plugins? can explain some more on what's happening there.
I just noticed that things like Ad Blocker and several other things I had like it have disappeared!!
They are nowhere to be found.
I think my best solution is to uninstall irefox, download the installation and start from scratch. YOur opinion?
Uninstalling and re-installing won't change anything, as your profile is still there. I'd suggest doing a Firefox refresh, and then re-install your extensions. Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings
I will do that when I have more time and report later. Thanks for the input.
The Refresh feature is a fast way to attack this problem. If you want to try something smaller scale but more involved first, then read on.
One reason for this problem to occur would be some corruption in Firefox's database of extensions. You can force Firefox to regenerate the files by doing the following:
Open your current Firefox settings (AKA Firefox profile) folder using either
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" button > Troubleshooting Information
- (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
- type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter
In the first table on the page, click the "Show Folder" button. This should launch a new window listing various files and folders in Windows Explorer.
Leaving that window open, switch back to Firefox and Exit, either:
- "3-bar" menu button > "power" button
- (menu bar) File > Exit
Pause while Firefox finishes its cleanup, then rename any of these files that you find:
- compatibility.ini to something like compatibility-old.ini
- extensions.ini to something like extensions-old.ini
- extensions.json to something like extensions-old.json
- extensions.sqlite to something like extensions-old.sqlite (might not exist depending on how long you've been using this settings folder)
When you start Firefox back up again, it should explore your profile folder and other folders to rebuild the list. It probably will ask you to approve some of the extensions. Once things settle down, could you check the Add-ons page again.
Note: If you have the BetterPrivacy extension, which removes Flash Local Storage Objects, it has a compatibility problem with Firefox 42 and I suggest removing it temporarily as it may be linked with this problem.
I did a refresh using the link you provided (many thanks for that) and reinstalled a couple of my most used extensions. Everything appears to be working as I wanted it to be working. I still have to enable a few others and I will probably clean out a few that are just hanging around but that should be no problem. Thanks for the quick and easy solution to the problem.