Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

Videos defaulting to mute on YouTube videos

plantsower

All of a sudden all of the videos I watch on YouTube with Firefox are defaulting to mute on my Macbook. I haven't made any changes to settings, etc. I don't have a YouTube account so I can't make any changes there anyway. I am having to unmute each video before I watch it.

All of a sudden all of the videos I watch on YouTube with Firefox are defaulting to mute on my Macbook. I haven't made any changes to settings, etc. I don't have a YouTube account so I can't make any changes there anyway. I am having to unmute each video before I watch it.

All Replies (2)

Hello,

First, check if an adblocker extension is causing the issue. If so, try switching adblockers.

Next, it is possible that site permissions are blocked. On a youtube video page, click the site permissions icon, then look for "autoplay", then change the setting from Block Audio to Allow Audio and Video.

Next, you can try opening a video, then unmuting it and setting it to 100%. After that, click to another video.

Lastly, if that doesn't work, try clearing cache and cookies by clicking the padlock icon, then click clear cookies and site data, and then click remove. After that, reload youtube and play a video.

Hi: I looked at your email this a.m. and started to follow your directions, but every time I clicked on a video the volume was not muted. It somehow took care of itself without my help! LOL! I will keep your instructions for the next time it happens.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.

Rita

Béèrè ìbéèrè

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.