Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

ค้นหาฝ่ายสนับสนุน

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

เรียนรู้เพิ่มเติม
Open

I want to export my Thunderbird "account" (the whole shooting match) and it seems to work and produce a zip file that is 15gb - will I be able to successfully import this on a new computer, please?

chrismillar

Essentially, I want to back up my Thunderbird. The standard way seems to be via Export / Import, but there is an implied limit of 2GB. The export function has successfully ended and produced a file of 15GB. Can I rely on this? (In the sense of being able to Import it should I need to?

Thanks in advance for any help / advice you can give.

Essentially, I want to back up my Thunderbird. The standard way seems to be via Export / Import, but there is an implied limit of 2GB. The export function has successfully ended and produced a file of 15GB. Can I rely on this? (In the sense of being able to Import it should I need to? Thanks in advance for any help / advice you can give.

การตอบกลับทั้งหมด (4)

Sorry. I was wrong. The zip file produced is "invalid" and Windows cannot open it.

Same issue with my wife's Thunderbird at 4.5GB.

I shall have to explore making my own back up as suggested elsewhere.

This technique works:


BACKUP

  1. ensure thunderbird is not running
  2. enter %appdata% in search window on task bar and press Enter key
  3. this should open windows file explorer in Appdata\roaming folder
  4. highlight the Thunderbird folder and copy to external media

RESTORE

  1. ensure thunderbird is installed, run once, and NOT running
  2. enter %appdata% in search window on task bar and press Enter key
  3. delete the thunderbird folder
  4. you should be in Appdata\roaming folder , copy&paste the exported Thunderbird folder there.
  5. start thunderbird and all should be there

If that exceeds capacity of external media, there is a solution for IMAP accounts, Just go into the profile, select the imapmail folder, then the IMAP account folder and delete the message folders. On restart thunderbird will repopulate them.

David,

I would like to say "Thank You".

I've not tried this yet (still in preparation mode for establishing my wife's new laptop). But have every confidence that it will be OK and I will return and indicate what happened.

  Chris

Those steps have worked for many. Just take your time. Let me know if problems. :)

ถามคำถาม

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.