Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Vyhľadajte odpoveď

Vyhnite sa podvodom s podporou. Nikdy vás nebudeme žiadať, aby ste zavolali alebo poslali SMS na telefónne číslo alebo zdieľali osobné informácie. Nahláste prosím podozrivú aktivitu použitím voľby “Nahlásiť zneužitie”.

Ďalšie informácie
Archivované

Search function not working in address book

mikec2

Just recently I have been unable to use the search function in my address book. The search bar is there, it just never finds any entries. Don't know when it stopped working, but about a month ago we switched over to using Exchange online with imap access. I wouldn't think this would affect search, but anything is possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Just recently I have been unable to use the search function in my address book. The search bar is there, it just never finds any entries. Don't know when it stopped working, but about a month ago we switched over to using Exchange online with imap access. I wouldn't think this would affect search, but anything is possible. Any ideas? Thanks.

Všetky odpovede (12)

Are any of these address book synced with a network contacts provider such as Google or Outlook.com? Are they local or LDAP?

Does it also fail from Edit/Find/Search Addresses...?

Upravil(a) sfhowes dňa

sfhowes said

Are any of these address book synced with a network contacts provider such as Google or Outlook.com? Are they local or LDAP? Does it also fail from Edit/Find/Search Addresses...?

Address book is local and not synced with anything.

It works using edit/find/Search Addresses, which I didn't know even existed. I can use this method, but would like to find out why the other method doesn't work since it always used to.

Thanks.

I'm not sure, but searching from Address Book might be connected to the global search database, whereas Edit/Find... is not. If it doesn't work in safe mode (hold Shift when you launch TB), then try rebuilding the database, assuming you have the global indexer enabled in Tools/Options/Advanced/General.

Are you using an addon to do Exchange?

sfhowes said

I'm not sure, but searching from Address Book might be connected to the global search database, whereas Edit/Find... is not. If it doesn't work in safe mode (hold Shift when you launch TB), then try rebuilding the database, assuming you have the global indexer enabled in Tools/Options/Advanced/General.

Search function works fine in safe mode. I then rebuilt the database and it still doesn't work.

And yes I have the global inexer enabled.

Wayne Mery said

Are you using an addon to do Exchange?

No, no add-on for exchange.

If it works in safe mode, then it's likely either an incompatible add-on or a broken layout. Launch in safe mode, check 'Disable all add-ons', click 'Make changes and restart', then see if search works. If it does, re-enable add-ons one-at-a-time until you find the offender. If search still doesn't work, launch in safe mode, check 'Reset toolbars and controls' and click 'Make changes and restart'.

sfhowes said

If it works in safe mode, then it's likely either an incompatible add-on or a broken layout. Launch in safe mode, check 'Disable all add-ons', click 'Make changes and restart', then see if search works. If it does, re-enable add-ons one-at-a-time until you find the offender. If search still doesn't work, launch in safe mode, check 'Reset toolbars and controls' and click 'Make changes and restart'.

It's the add-on MoreFunctionForAddressBook 1.0b8. I can enable all the other add-ons and search works fine. I've had this add-on enabled for probably 8-10yrs. Don't know why it just started giving problems.

I disabled the auto update IIRC because it caused one of my add-ons that I use a lot wasn't compatable. I can update, but that doesn't explain why the search function stopped working unless it has something to do with using exchange as an imap account.

Thanks.

Nothing to do with Exchange.

I've had problems with MoreFunctionForAddressBook in multiple Thunderbird updates the past and no longer use it. I only used it to copy information from the contact pane, which is natively supported in Thunderbird.

The author has stopped developing his addons. Some of his addons are being adopted/forked by other developers. I don't know yet if MoreFunctionsForAddressBook is one of them

Some of the options of MFFAB are available in CardBook, which is 68-compatible.

Don't recall if this particular add-on was the reason I stopped updating Thunderbird or not. Could have been just the new gui I didn't like, who knows as it was 5yrs ago based on when my version was released. I guess I could update and see where it goes.

Thanks.

Upravil(a) mikec2 dňa

So, I've updated to ver. 60.9. The search function works as it should. Some of my other add-ons were incompatible, but they weren't anything I used often so I'll live with it. Doesn't explain why all of a sudden that add-on started causing problems, and updating Thunderbird seems to have fixed it but I'll go with it.

Thanks for the help folks.