Subject: Help needed to recover missing email history and archive folders after switching from POP3 to IMAP
Hello, I urgently need help recovering emails and archive folders that have disappeared from Thunderbird.
Here is what happened: I had an email account configured in Thunderbird using POP3. Over the years, all the emails and the entire email history were downloaded and stored locally in Thunderbird. I also had several archive folders containing important emails and documents.
The mailbox was recently moved from the old mail server to a new mail server using IMAP. The account was then set up again in Thunderbird as a new IMAP account.
The old POP3 account/configuration was left untouched, because I expected the old emails and folders stored locally in Thunderbird to remain available.
However, after setting up the new IMAP account, I can no longer see the previous email history or the archive folders from the old POP3 account. Some of these folders contain very important documents that I need to recover.
I would like to emphasize that I am not asking to recover emails from the old mail server. The emails and archives had previously been downloaded and stored locally in Thunderbird through the POP3 configuration.
Could you please help me determine, how I can locate and restore the old Thunderbird profile or Local Folders? The emails and archive folders are very important, so I would really appreciate detailed instructions on how to safely recover them. I have not intentionally deleted the old emails or archive folders.
Technical information: Email address: biuro@wojciechprzybylski.pl Old mail server: server.go4win.pl Old account type: POP3 Approximate date of the migration: 15.09,2026 Missing folders/emails: Archiwum
Thank you very much for your help.
Best regards, Halina Kaczyńska
Toate răspunsurile (1)
Here is a down-and-dirty strategy:
- click help>troubleshootinginformation
- scroll to 'profile folder' and click 'open folder'
- you should now be in the profile. EXIT thunderbird
- let's check this profile first. click the mail folder, where POP accounts are stored. is there a folder there for that old account? Check also the Mail\Local Folders folder for any recognizable content. Message folders are typically in this format: inbox, inbox.msf, sent, sent.msf
- if that failed, click the back button in Windows file explorer until you are at the appdata\roaming\thunderbird\profiles folder
- click the profiles folder to see all profiles. this will list the profile you just searched, plus any others. repeat step 4 for each of them for any recognizable content.
- if unsure at any time of what you are seeing, please post a screenshot. Good luck.