Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Przeszukaj pomoc

Unikaj oszustw związanych z pomocą.Nigdy nie będziemy prosić Cię o dzwonienie na numer telefonu, wysyłanie SMS-ów ani o udostępnianie danych osobowych. Zgłoś podejrzaną aktywność, korzystając z opcji „Zgłoś nadużycie”.

Więcej informacji
Otwarte

HELP PLEASE. Need to recover 2 yrs of emails after fresh install of Ubuntu

Luke Robbie

What do I have to do to get help in this Forum? This is the second time I've posted a Question seeking help, and yet again it is being ignored. Do I have join some secret clique or group? If so please tell me?

Due to issues with upgrading from Ubuntu 24.04.1 to 26.04.1, I decided to just start from scratch with a new clean install.

After finalising the install, I copied across my Thunderbird data to the new partition, merging directories as the data copied across. But, somewhere in the transfer I lost about the last two years emails, with only emails up until 12/24 being available.

There are a lot a important emails I need to recover, and I'm guessing they're still on my PC, in the old partition, and I desperately need help to recover them.

What do I have to do to get help in this Forum? This is the second time I've posted a Question seeking help, and yet again it is being ignored. Do I have join some secret clique or group? If so please tell me? Due to issues with upgrading from Ubuntu 24.04.1 to 26.04.1, I decided to just start from scratch with a new clean install. After finalising the install, I copied across my Thunderbird data to the new partition, merging directories as the data copied across. But, somewhere in the transfer I lost about the last two years emails, with only emails up until 12/24 being available. There are a lot a important emails I need to recover, and I'm guessing they're still on my PC, in the old partition, and I desperately need help to recover them.

Zmodyfikowany przez Luke Robbie w dniu

Wszystkie odpowiedzi (7)

Do you still have a copy of the profile folder of your Thunderbird installation on the old partition?

Yes, I've left the entire previous partition intact.

I copied the data across, choosing "Merge" when asked.

Explore your old partition in order to find your Thunderbird profile folder in ~/.thunderbird/xxxxxxxx.default/ I guess that the missing messages have been stored in a POP account or in Local Folders. So open the old profile folder xxxxxxxx.default, go to Mail and do a screen shot of its contents. If the missing emails of two years were stored in your Local Folders show a screen shot of the contents of ...../Mail/Local Folders/....

The first three screen shots below have their Path showing at the top, and looking through the is even more confusing as the most recent Folder is in .mozilla-thunderbird Folder. While the Local Folders in both .thunderbird & .mozilla-thunderbird show dates going back even further, eg; 2019. Plus, while most of my various folders/sub-folders are showing up, most of the show as being empty, and the mailbox files show no dates after 2024.

I've got a bad feeling I've possible lost all of my stored email post 12/24. FML.

Thank you for the screen shots. Unfortunately I am not familiar with Linux, but this is the smallest problem since Thunderbird profile structures are nearly identical in all OS.

Your profile folder "tthwl3dy.default" is located in THREE different directories: one is in .../luke/.thunderbird/tthwl3dy.default another one is located in .../luke/.mozilla-thunderbird/tthwl3dy.default and a third one in ..../Home/.thunderbird/tthwl3dy.default

Probably ./luke/.thunderbird/tthwl3dy.default is the profile you are actually running. But your profile contains 4 pop account folders plus Local Folders. To find and retrieve your lost two years of emails, and without knowing in which account (or Local Folders) the two years of emails still might exist, I would have to open and explore all your profile locations, all accounts and maybe Local Folders too. This means asking for many more screen shots, compare them, ...etc, still ask for another one This is a herculean task taking days and maybe even weeks which I do no longer inflict me. But it could be done in much lesser time via remote control ....

Perhaps Luke can find someone local who knows Linux, to help.

Did you look into ~/.var/app/org.mozilla.Thunderbird to see if there is anything in there.

Zadaj pytanie

Aby odpowiadać na posty, musisz zalogować się na swoje konto. Zadaj pytanie, jeśli nie masz jeszcze konta.