Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Open

"Always Ask" is NEVER ASK for file downloads!

Ant Rhonda

On all my PC's, (Win 10 & 11) downloads go to the folder I specified even though "Always Ask" is checked. This results in hundreds of files (statements, receipts, documents of interest) that I have to then move to the correct folders and unimaginable congestion and chaos in the directory.

I (and many others) would really appreciate it if FF would give priority to fixing some of these longstanding glitches, rather than pushing unneccessary and unneeded glitz on us.

On all my PC's, (Win 10 & 11) downloads go to the folder I specified even though "Always Ask" is checked. This results in hundreds of files (statements, receipts, documents of interest) that I have to then move to the correct folders and unimaginable congestion and chaos in the directory. I (and many others) would really appreciate it if FF would give priority to fixing some of these longstanding glitches, rather than pushing unneccessary and unneeded glitz on us.

All Replies (3)

Hello,

To make Firefox not bypass your "always ask", it may be because there are specific file formats that are downloaded via separate options. To change this, go to menu > settings > general, then scroll down to "Files and Applications", then look at the "applications" table, it lists different content types. Under the table, it will show "What should Firefox do with other files?" and make sure "Ask whether to open or save files is selected"

Next, you can try going to about:config, accept risk (use at own discretion), then search for browser.download.useDownloadDir, and change it to false (if it was originally true).

Lastly, you can try going back to Firefox Settings > General > Downloads, then temporarily switch setting from "Always ask" to "Save files to", then click browse, and select a different temporary folder. After that, change it back to always ask and try again.

I have EVERY application format that doesn't use a specific program (such as QFX for a finance program) marked "ask." The ones I use just download to the default folder regardless. Practically all downloads are PDF and none ever go anywhere but the default folder.

I did ease the pain a bit by making a subdirectory called FireFoxDownloads and making it the default download folder. There doesn't seem to be a null option for a download folder -- see screenshots.

A few dozen or perhaps hundred "updates" ago "always ask" worked. I'll take a look at the config file when I find it though. ;)

Thanks for your clarifications.

Is this specific to PDFs, or exactly attachments that have set their handler to open in any app?

See the note in support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/choose-your-preferred-pdf-viewer-firefox#w_choose-another-pdf-viewer-to-use-by-default-or-set-firefox-to-always-ask

"Choose another PDF viewer to use by default or set Firefox to always ask"

Note: When you choose another PDF viewer to use by default in Firefox, or if you set Firefox to always ask you what to do with PDF files, any PDF files you open will also be saved to your Downloads folder (see Where to find and manage downloaded files in Firefox).''

Ask a question

You must log in to your account to reply to posts. Please start a new question, if you do not have an account yet.