I cannot get firefox to read a .chm file. Old Netscape does, explorer does, chrome does. How can I get Firefox to read a .chm file?
In Firefox 24.0 -> Tools -> Options -> Applications, I cannot choose a program (hh.exe) to read .chm files. When I choose to open a *.chm file I have only the option of saving it, not to open it. Other browsers like Explorer, chrome, even old netscape 7.2 allow me to open it and the program finds I presume the hh.exe file and away you go. I cannot find a way to get Firefox (my favorite browser) to read chm files.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 11.9 r900
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.05
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealPlayer Download Plugin
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealDownloader Plugin
- VLC media player Web Plugin 2.0.6
- Plug-in for detecting Nero Kwik Media.
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
As I recall, Netscape 7.2 was a hybrid version made long after AOL shut-down their Mozilla programming operations, and that version incorporated some Trident code used by IE - which might explain the CHM compatibility. Not sure why Chrome handles it, though.
Microsoft Compiled HTML Help is a Microsoft proprietary online help format, consisting of a collection of HTML pages, an index and other navigation tools. The files are compressed and deployed in a binary format with the extension .CHM, for Compiled HTML. The format is often used for software documentation.
There used to be a CHM Reader Add-on for Firefox - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chm-reader/ - but it hasn't been updated since June, 2008 / Firefox 3.6.
Sorry, Mozilla doesn't support "proprietary" formats such as that.
Unfortunately we had a data base error today and lost some user accounts when we had to go back to our backups. If you have started this thread, your's is one of those. Since we can not recreate your account, please sign-up for a new account here to reply to the forum messages:
You can use the same username and email address as before. We are very sorry for the inconvenience.