Permissions Manager - Give certain websites the ability to store passwords, set cookies and more
Instead of hunting all over Firefox to change various website permissions, the Permissions Manager now collects them all in one place. You can customize permissions for individual sites or set the default permissions for all sites. This article will get you started.
Table of Contents
How do I open the Permissions Manager?
To open the Permissions Manager, just type the words about:permissions into the location bar as if it were a website and hit Enter. The current tab will be replaced by the Permissions Manager.
On the left hand side you'll see a search bar with a list of all the websites you've been to below it. The right hand side lists the various website permissions that Firefox stores.
How do I manage permissions for a single website?
To work with a single website you have to select it from the list on the left side. You can quickly narrow down that long list by typing part of the site's address in the search box. Once you've selected a site, you can manage its permissions with the settings on the right.
- When working with a single site you can also click the Warning: All history items (browsing and download history, cookies, cache, active logins, passwords, saved form data, exceptions for cookies, images, pop-ups) for that site will be removed. button to delete everything Firefox has stored for that site.
How do I manage the default permissions for all websites?
To manage the default permissions for all websites select All Sites from the top of the list of websites. Now the settings on the right represent the default permissions for all websites.
What permissions can I manage?
The Permissions Manager gives you easy access to the following:
- Store Passwords: Set whether or not Firefox can store passwords for websites. Click Password manager - Remember, delete and change saved passwords in Firefox for more information. to open the Password Manager where you can view or delete individual passwords. See
- Share Location: Set whether or not Firefox can share your current location with a website that requests it. See the Location-Aware Browsing FAQ for more info.Note: Your public IP address can always be seen, which may be used to determine your general location (city, region, etc.).
- Use the Camera: Choose whether or not to automatically allow a website to use your camera. This applies to websites that have video or image capture capabilities, like video chat sites. You can change this setting to let Firefox automatically Allow or Block websites from using your camera, or set it to Always Ask if you'd like to allow access on an individual basis.
- Use the Microphone: Choose whether or not to let a website (such as voice conferencing or recording sites) automatically use your microphone. Set this to Allow, Block or Always Ask.
- Set Cookies: Choose whether or not and for how long websites can set cookies on your computer. You can remove cookies by clicking Cookies - Information that websites store on your computer article for more. or manage individual cookies by clicking . In addition, you can set Firefox to allow only "First Party" cookies on a site-by-site basis. See the Set Cookies: Choose whether or not and for how long websites can set cookies on your computer. You can remove cookies by clicking Cookies - Information that websites store on your computer article for more. or manage individual cookies by clicking . See the
- Open Pop-up windows: Allow or block websites from opening pop-up windows. See the Pop-up blocker settings, exceptions and troubleshooting article for details.
- Maintain Offline Storage: Set whether or not websites can store information on your computer for use when you are offline.
- Plugins: Set whether or not Firefox automatically activates plugins on websites. Note: If you set Firefox to "Always Ask" to activate plugins on All Sites, you will then be able to set permissions for individual sites.
- Fullscreen: Set whether or not websites can be displayed in full screen.
Share this article: http://mzl.la/1BARU1S