Cannot restore from Firefox backup
I made 2 copies of the Firefox backup folder on a Win 10 computer and haven't been able to restore either to a Win11 computer. The error message is "This file isn’t working. Try picking a different file." The Win 10 computer had a later version of Firefox than is on the Win 11 computer but was not the most recent version available.
Any ideas for installing the backup file or for a work around so I have my most recent profile data, bookmarks and passwords on the Win 11 computer?
모든 댓글 (1)
선택된 해결법
I’d update the Firefox on the Windows 11 computer first so it’s the same version or newer than the Windows 10 machine. Restoring a backup into an older Firefox can cause problems. Also make sure you’re selecting the actual Firefox bookmark backup file, not the backup folder. Firefox bookmark backups are normally files ending in .jsonlz4.
For the safest workaround, copy the entire Firefox profile from the old computer:
On the Win 10 PC, type about:support and click Open Folder beside Profile Folder. Close Firefox. Copy that entire profile folder somewhere safe. On the Win 11 PC, open its profile folder the same way. Close Firefox and replace the contents with the old profile.
That should bring over bookmarks, history, settings, and saved passwords. The password data is mainly in logins.json and key4.db, so make sure both are copied.
I’d make a backup of the Win 11 profile before replacing anything.