This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Firfox Keeps Freezing/Locking Up. Windows 7 64
Firefox is freezing and locking up, will unfreeze by it self, and relock, and unfreeze.
Getting out, PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A seam to of fixed it.Read this answer in context 👍 1
All Replies (8)
Did you do a clean install and made sure to remove the Firefox program folder?
Did you make sure that all malware has been removed properly?
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
All these programs have free versions.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender: Home Page:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller:
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked
Do a clean reinstall and delete the Firefox program folder before (re)installing a fresh copy of the current Firefox release.
Download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.
- Firefox 26: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all.html
if possible uninstall your current Firefox version to cleanup the Windows registry and settings in security software.
- Do NOT remove personal data when you uninstall your current Firefox version, because all profile folders will be removed and you lose personal data like bookmarks and passwords from profiles of other Firefox versions.
Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.
- (32 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"
- (64 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\"
- It is important to delete the Firefox program folder to remove all the files and make sure that there are no problems with files that were leftover after uninstalling.
Your bookmarks and other personal data are stored in the Firefox profile folder and won't be affected by an uninstall and (re)install, but make sure that "remove personal data" is NOT selected when you uninstall Firefox.
If you keep having problems then also create a new profile.
It is possible that your security software (firewall, anti-virus) blocks or restricts Firefox or the plugin-container process.
Remove all rules for Firefox and the plugin-container from the permissions list in the firewall and let your firewall ask again for permission to get full unrestricted access to internet for Firefox and the plugin-container process and the updater process.
I will try Del eating the folder this time. I did completely remove the Malware, and do a full scan
If you haven't tried disabling the protected mode feature of the Flash Player plugin, I recommend trying that. The following pages provide information on how to disable the feature.
- Adobe support article under the heading "Last Resort": Adobe Forums: How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?
- Batch file to automate the manual steps: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/982093#answer-518078
Reason behind the suggestion: Flash hangs Firefox (eventually get script continue/stop dialog).
Ok, I reformatted my HDD,cleared the Bios, did a fresh install of Windows 7, 64. Put Firefox back in, NO Flash Player, then in 15-20 min's it will Start, thinking then unfreezes after still.
I ran anti malware in Safemode and it found, PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A
Would that be causing it? Right now the problem has not started, but can take upto 20 mins, to start freezing. Fingers crossed
1. Disabling addon you don't use . Firefox -> addons
2. Reset firefox if 1 doesn't works. Firefox -> Help - > Troubleshoot
Getting out, PUP.Optional.GreatSaver.A seam to of fixed it.