Too many profiles??
I think I have too many profiles in my IMAP mail directory, but need to be sure before I start removing them. All my emails for 2 Gmail accounts are forwarded to Thunderbird; my 3rd account is forwarded to Thunderbird from from my personal website (janedoe@janedoe.com).
In checking server settings, I found there there are several different profiles for my account in my local directory under IMAP mail: imap.janedoe.com, imap.janedoe.com-1, mail.janedoe.com, mail.janedoem.com-1, and mail.janedoe.com-2.
Clearly, I shouldn't have all these profiles...yet I don't know which ones to eliminate and which ones to keep. I have NO idea how this happened, as I haven't changed any account settings or added any email accounts.
Can someone help me sort through all this?
すべての返信 (3)
I think I have too many profiles
Your usage of the term 'profile' is very confusing. Check this article for more information about profiles. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
What you're talking about are folders in the file system. You can check the date of the files within those folders to determine which is the current one. Also, the current folder should be referenced in the 'Local Directory' setting underneath your Account Settings.
Warming: do not mess with the 'Local Directory' setting, unless you know exactly what you're doing.
Before you continue, create a full backup of your profile folder. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Backing_Up_and_Restoring
Once you determined which folder is the current one verify that there are no missing messages. In other words, make sure there are no messages in those folders supposed to be deleted.
Mail files are text files and can be opened with a text editor.
Once you're certain, delete the folders not being used.
OK...guess I was incorrect in referring to the files as profiles...sorry. It's just that they're all sub-folders under the profile folder (C:\Users\joanm\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\7r5ti4vp.default\ImapMail), so I presumed they were part of the profile.
Regardless, one of the issues is that the folder referenced in the Local Directory was the WRONG one: it pointed to one of the secondary IMAP folders: imap.janedoe.com-1...which is why I suddenly wasn't receiving mail on that account. Once I changed it to point to imap.janedoe.com, my mail arrived. Again, how could this happen without me making manual changes to the account?
It wasn't until I looked at the files in my "C" drive that I could see all the apparently redundant folders in my ImapMail folder.
この投稿は Joan Merriam により
It's just that they're all sub-folders under the profile folder ... , so I presumed they were part of the profile.
They are part of the profile, but they are not the profile.
it pointed to one of the secondary IMAP folders: imap.janedoe.com-1...which is why I suddenly wasn't receiving mail on that account.
You haven't mentioned anything about not receiving messages in your OP, so I'm not going to comment on this. To me, pointing to another folder has got nothing to do with not receiving messages.
how could this happen without me making manual changes to the account?
I don't know. One possibility is that anti-virus software blocks access to mail files in a certain folder, and Thunderbird creates a new folder. This may also explain why you haven't received messages. I'd expect that you got some sort of error message in such a case though.
In any case, it's recommended to create an exception in your anti-virus software for the Thunderbird profile folder, so that the anti-virus real-time scanner will not scan it. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_Thunderbird
この投稿は christ1 により