Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More
Echekwara

How do I get Firefox to remember a password after having deleted it from the list of remembered passwords accidentally?

barbu

I had to change my password for gmail and the password manager didn't ask to remember the new one. Now I have to re-type it each time and am wondering if there's some way to get the password manager to store the new one?

I had to change my password for gmail and the password manager didn't ask to remember the new one. Now I have to re-type it each time and am wondering if there's some way to get the password manager to store the new one?

All Replies (7)

Check in Preferences > Security > Saved Passwords if the old password is still being saved. If it is, remove it. Then next time you log in it should ask to save the password.

Hi Nori, thanks for your reply. Strangely that's what I did, and it never re-asked me for the password. Any other ideas? Gratitude, Barbu

Make sure that you not run Firefox in (permanent) Private Browsing - Use Firefox without saving history mode.

  • You enter Private Browsing mode if you select: Tools > Options > Privacy > History: Firefox will: "Never Remember History"
  • To see all History and Cookie settings, choose: Tools > Options > Privacy, choose the setting Firefox will: Use custom settings for history
  • Uncheck: [ ] "Permanent Private Browsing mode"
  • Uncheck: [ ] "Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session"

Some sites like PayPal, Yahoo, Windows Live and bank sites use autocomplete="off" to prevent Firefox from saving and filling the name and the password.
If a site uses autocomplete="off" then look at this article for a bookmarklet to remove that autocomplete attribute and Firefox will offer to store the name and password.

Thanks for your answer-I did all those things, actually the settings were already like that. To be more specific, it's a gmail password issue. I may have clicked "never for this site" originally when I first entered in the new password, though I doubt it. But it may have just happened quickly. Any other ideas for Gmail? Thanks for your help friends!

Did you check the password exceptions for references to google ?

  • Tools > Options > Security: Passwords: Exceptions

Yes, no exceptions at all.

It might be a problem with the website then? :S Or the passwords file could be corrupted? I don't know a lot of the technical stuff when it comes to Firefox troubleshooting, but password file corruption is usually the underlying issue when I'm having password problems.