This article explains how to download and install Thunderbird on a Linux.
Table of Contents
Installing from your distribution package manager (Recommended)
To install Thunderbird using your distribution package manager, please refer to your Linux distribution's documentation.
This method is the recommended way because it ensures Thunderbird and all the required libraries are installed and configured optimally for your distribution. However, there may be a small delay between the official release of a new version of Thundebird and the moment when your distribution updates the version it distributes. Your distribution may also distribute it without the Thunderbird branding.
Install from Snap
Installing Thunderbird manually (For advanced users)
- Before you install Thunderbird, make sure that your computer has the required libraries installed. Missing libraries will cause Thunderbird to be inoperable.
- To install Thunderbird with this method, you must be able to login as root or execute
- This installation will have priority over the Thunderbird version installed through your package manager. To run the version installed with your package manager, you will need to execute the binary from a terminal. To do so in most distributions, open a terminal and type:
1. Go to the Thunderbird's download page and click on the button.
2. Open a terminal and go to the folder where your download has been saved. For example:
3. Extract the contents of the downloaded file by typing:
tar xjf thunderbird-*.tar.bz2
4. Move the uncompressed Thunderbird folder to /opt:
mv thunderbird /opt
5. Create a symlink to the Thunderbird executable:
ln -s /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/local/bin/thunderbird
6. Download a copy of the desktop file:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/mozilla/sumo-kb/main/install-thundebird-linux/thunderbird.desktop -P /usr/local/share/applications
wget is not installed on your computer, go to the URL mentioned above, right-click on the page to open the contextual menu and select . After you downloaded the file, move it to /usr/local/share/applications.
To verify that the installation was successful, click the menu button , click
Share this article: https://mzl.la/3Mm3SHQ