Windows 10 reached EOS (end of support) on October 14, 2025. If you are on Windows 10, see this article.

Eheka Pytyvõha

Emboyke pytyvõha apovai. Ndorojeruremo’ãi ehenói térã eñe’ẽmondóvo pumbyrýpe ha emoherakuãvo marandu nemba’etéva. Emombe’u tembiapo imarãkuaáva ko “Marandu iñañáva” rupive.

Kuaave
Oĩporãmava Ñongatupyre

I want the Google search from the default new tabs to actually work

judydevore

I'm setting up a new computer. I have Firefox set up to have new tabs be the default Firefox home page. Those new pages display a Google search section but when I type in that section, the text switches to the address bar for the search. How can I make the search happen on the page, not the address bar? Under Settings/Search, it has a search setting section with only 2 choices - Use the address bar for search and navigation & Add search bar in toolbar. I've tried it both ways, and the same thing happens. My previous computer (both are Windows 10) did not have this problem. I could type/search in the Google search section. Thoughts?

I'm setting up a new computer. I have Firefox set up to have new tabs be the default Firefox home page. Those new pages display a Google search section but when I type in that section, the text switches to the address bar for the search. How can I make the search happen on the page, not the address bar? Under Settings/Search, it has a search setting section with only 2 choices - Use the address bar for search and navigation & Add search bar in toolbar. I've tried it both ways, and the same thing happens. My previous computer (both are Windows 10) did not have this problem. I could type/search in the Google search section. Thoughts?

Opaite Mbohovái (2)

Ñemoĩporã poravopyre

You can set browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.handoffToAwesomebar = false on the about:config page.

You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can click the button to "Accept the Risk and Continue".

DISCLAIMER: modifying prefs directly via the about:config page is not officially supported and there is no guarantee that this will keep working in future releases or otherwise "breaks" Firefox.

Thank you! That worked.