Transferring tabs to Firefox on a new PC
I am replacing an old laptop and want to transfer all my Firefox settings to the new one. I have gone into the Sync setting on both and checked all Sync options - including Open Tabs. However, when I select Sync Now on the new PC, my open tabs from the old PC are not set up. I noticed that there is a Synced Tab sidebar which invites me to Connect Another Device - but selecting that option just leads to an invitation to login on an IOS or Android device. But, I don't want the tabs from there - I want it from my old PC. I realaise I could simply recreate the tabs - but with a hundred or so active, this would be a very tedious exercise. What can I do please?
All Replies (1)
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (passwords) and key4.db (58+) (decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
support for key3.db ended with Firefox 73
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder