Localization discussions

Let's talk about: KB revisions, notifications, launches

1. Hey L10ns!

To answer and expand upon a recent thread by Underpass, I wanted to start a wider discussion about the way we handle revisions as localizers and KB editors in general.

At the moment, we have the following types of changes in the English KB (thanks to Joni for compiling the list):

Minor revisions including:

• Adding or changing screenshots of the user interface (example).
    • Fixing typos, punctuation and extra spaces
    • "Wordsmithing" sentences to make them shorter or nicer without changing the meaning or instructions.

Normal (not urgent) revisions that need localization including:

• Corrections to instructions
    • Clarifying ambiguous or unclear instructions
    • Updating instructions for each release
    • Adding or changing images of buttons and icons (example)
    • New articles
    • Wrong or missing markup (example: an article is missing a closing {/for} tag.)

Major revisions that make the previous version completely useless

A change on such scale has not happened so far.

As a reminder: unless there are very urgent localizations needed, both minor and normal levels of changes can be picked up and localized at any convenient time. So, even if you get a lot of notifications from the KB, you don't need to look at them - the most important stuff happens usually before the launch. On an average week, localizing a few articles from the most popular ones that need updating is more than enough - and you are already rocking the helpful web with that!

When we are close to a launch, things may go a bit crazy... That's why I usually try to inform you about such events directly (PM, email, your locale thread), so that you don't have to check the dashboards and wonder what is going on with the KB.

So, I give the floor over to you. Let's discuss:

• Are the levels of changes clear enough as they are now?
    • Are you OK with frequent updates to articles that do not have to be localized urgently?
    • How would you like to see urgent updates or launches handled by us?
      • Is a content freeze of at least one week before a launch enough, or should we fight to extend it to two weeks? (Please remember that we are not always able to influence the timing of launch content updates, as features and their names can unfortunately change without an earlier warning.)
    • Is there anything else about the current notification / subscription system that you would like to talk about? This is the time and the place!

I'm eager to hear from you.

Have a great weekend!

Hey L10ns! To answer and expand upon [https://support.mozilla.org/forums/l10n-forum/711618 a recent thread by Underpass], I wanted to start a wider discussion about the way we handle revisions as localizers and KB editors in general. At the moment, we have the following types of changes in the English KB (thanks to Joni for compiling the list): '''Minor revisions''' including: * Adding or changing screenshots of the user interface ([https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/23570 example]). * Fixing typos, punctuation and extra spaces * "Wordsmithing" sentences to make them shorter or nicer without changing the meaning or instructions. '''Normal (not urgent) revisions that need localization''' including: * Corrections to instructions * Clarifying ambiguous or unclear instructions * Updating instructions for each release * Adding or changing images of buttons and icons ([https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/gallery/image/23519 example]) * New articles * Wrong or missing markup (example: an article is missing a closing {/for} tag.) '''Major revisions that make the previous version completely useless''' A change on such scale has not happened so far. As a reminder: unless there are very urgent localizations needed, both minor and normal levels of changes can be picked up and localized at any convenient time. So, even if you get a lot of notifications from the KB, you don't need to look at them - the most important stuff happens usually before the launch. On an average week, localizing a few articles from the most popular ones that need updating is more than enough - and you are already rocking the helpful web with that! When we are close to a launch, things may go a bit crazy... That's why I usually try to inform you about such events directly (PM, email, your locale thread), so that you don't have to check the dashboards and wonder what is going on with the KB. So, I give the floor over to you. Let's discuss: * Are the levels of changes clear enough as they are now? * Are you OK with frequent updates to articles that do not have to be localized urgently? * How would you like to see urgent updates or launches handled by us? ** Is a content freeze of at least one week before a launch enough, or should we fight to extend it to two weeks? (Please remember that we are not always able to influence the timing of launch content updates, as features and their names can unfortunately change without an earlier warning.) * Is there anything else about the current notification / subscription system that you would like to talk about? This is the time and the place! I'm eager to hear from you. Have a great weekend!
  2. Thanks. A good idea - for me - could be marking each revision as "Minor", "Normal" or "Urgent". And fixing a typo in the en-us version should not trigger the notification: the overall state of the article should be unchanged.

Thanks. A good idea - for me - could be marking each revision as "Minor", "Normal" or "Urgent". And fixing a typo in the en-us version should not trigger the notification: the overall state of the article should be unchanged.
  3. one thing that i've noticed which also plays a part in feeling a bit overwhelmed about the changes to localise in a short amount of time is that articles marked as rtl already but still "parked" in the administration category apparently don't show up in l10n dashboards. so localisers might not be aware of the need to translate them until the last minute, when the articles are moved into their respective products...

one thing that i've noticed which also plays a part in feeling a bit overwhelmed about the changes to localise in a short amount of time is that articles marked as rtl already but still "parked" in the administration category apparently don't show up in l10n dashboards. so localisers might not be aware of the need to translate them until the last minute, when the articles are moved into their respective products...
  4. Does anyone else have anything else to add here? Otherwise, we'll be closing this subject (for now).

Does anyone else have anything else to add here? Otherwise, we'll be closing this subject (for now).
  5. I am alone, I am not under pressure and I subscribed to the mailing list to get notifications about articles to be updated. So I decided for me to fit the modified articles in and update them first before I translate the next fully untranslated article. I check the Sorbian translation dashboards if there are articles with the yellow symbol.

I am alone, I am not under pressure and I subscribed to the mailing list to get notifications about articles to be updated. So I decided for me to fit the modified articles in and update them first before I translate the next fully untranslated article. I check the Sorbian translation dashboards if there are articles with the yellow symbol.
  6. For those interested, a related discussion is going on in the KB articles forum, in a thread posted May 6, 2016 at 6:28:43 PM EDT by Kim Ludvigsen:

https://support.mozilla.org/forums/knowledge-base-articles/711969 Quality of the articles and proof reading

Chris Ilias said (on May 7, 2016):

This is something I’d like to see more input from localizers on. On IRC, I was asked by a localizer to mark more edits as ready for localization. It seems that each localizer has his/her preference about when to mark an edit as ready for localization, so if we can get more localizers coming in, it will help establish a consensus.
    For those interested, a related discussion is going on in the KB articles forum, in a thread posted May 6, 2016 at 6:28:43 PM EDT by Kim Ludvigsen: https://support.mozilla.org/forums/knowledge-base-articles/711969 Quality of the articles and proof reading ''Chris Ilias said'' (on May 7, 2016): <blockquote> This is something I’d like to see more input from localizers on. On IRC, I was asked by a localizer to mark more edits as ready for localization. It seems that each localizer has his/her preference about when to mark an edit as ready for localization, so if we can get more localizers coming in, it will help establish a consensus. </blockquote>