Knowledge Base discussions

Outdated information in a KB article

1. more options

Fix printing problems in Firefox
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-printing-problems-firefox

under - Reset Firefox printer setting - the pref print.print_printer isn't used after Firefox 5.0 versions from what I can see. It is there in Firefox 4.0 and 5.0 and is gone in Firefox 6.0.2 and later versions on WinXP for me.

Can someone verify this on other OS's?

This forum thread - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/972287 - prompted me to take a look at that setting and to look for when that pref may have been deprecated.

It looks like that pref was replaced by print_printer which doesn't exist in the 5.0 and earlier versions, but is present in all the later versions that I checked, where I have used a printer at least once.

under - Reset Firefox printer setting
    print.print_printer needs to be replaced by print_printer

and under - Reset all Firefox printer settings
    Line #6 reads - Remove all lines in prefs.js that start with print. and save the file.
    print. needs to be replaced with printer_ .

IMO, that should fix that article.

Ed

'''Fix printing problems in Firefox''' <br /> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-printing-problems-firefox under - '''Reset Firefox printer setting''' - the pref '''print.print_printer''' isn't used after Firefox 5.0 versions from what I can see. It is there in Firefox 4.0 and 5.0 and is gone in Firefox 6.0.2 and later versions on WinXP for me. '''''Can someone verify this on other OS's?''''' This forum thread - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/972287 - prompted me to take a look at that setting and to look for when that pref may have been deprecated. It looks like that pref was replaced by '''print_printer''' which doesn't exist in the 5.0 and earlier versions, but is present in all the later versions that I checked, where I have used a printer at least once. under - '''Reset Firefox printer setting''' <br /> '''print.print_printer''' needs to be replaced by '''print_printer''' and under - '''Reset all Firefox printer settings''' <br /> Line #6 reads - Remove all lines in prefs.js that start with '''print.''' and save the file. <br /> '''''print.''''' needs to be replaced with '''printer_''' . IMO, that should fix that article. Ed
  2. Hello the-edmeister, i have in my xp both options !!!

print.print_printer

and

print_printer !

24 print

Hello the-edmeister, i have in my xp both options !!! print.print_printer and print_printer ! [[Image:24 print]]
  3. more options

That might be hung over from using older versions of Firefox with that Profile.

I was using almost 'virgin' Profiles for my 'investigation' with each version I looked at. I have 1 each of every version of Firefox installed from 2.0.0.20 to the latest nightly, that I use for investigative and comparison purposes. All versions have a Profile that was new when each version was installed and is little used and/or unmodified. Most of the Profiles I had never used for printing before discovering this error / oversight in the KB.

I bet that if you reset that print.print_printer pref in that Profile, restart Firefox, and then print something, that preference won't reappear.

BTW, I corrected the similar MoziilaZine KB page - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problems_printing_web_pages - I am used to doing editing there. I don't feel as comfortable editing KB articles with the SUMO software, which is why I didn't edit it myself; beyond wanting other contributors to verify my findings.

Ed

That might be hung over from using older versions of Firefox with that Profile. I was using almost 'virgin' Profiles for my 'investigation' with each version I looked at. I have 1 each of every version of Firefox installed from 2.0.0.20 to the latest nightly, that I use for investigative and comparison purposes. All versions have a Profile that was new when each version was installed and is little used and/or unmodified. Most of the Profiles I had never used for printing before discovering this error / oversight in the KB. I bet that if you '''''reset''''' that '''print.print_printer''' pref in that Profile, restart Firefox, and then print something, that preference won't reappear. BTW, I corrected the similar MoziilaZine KB page - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problems_printing_web_pages - I am used to doing editing there. I don't feel as comfortable editing KB articles with the SUMO software, which is why I didn't edit it myself; beyond wanting other contributors to verify my findings. Ed
  4. Ed you are 100% correct, my profile is too old, i did the steps you provide above and the print.print_printer is not exist anymore, only the correct print_printer exist.

24 print correct

thank you

'''Ed you are 100% correct''', my profile is too old, i did the steps you provide above and the print.print_printer is not exist anymore, '''only the correct print_printer exist'''. [[Image:24 print correct]] thank you
  5. Ed, ok the review, see the Revision : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-printing-problems-firefox/revision/46685 thanks
  6. more options

this paragraph looks fine now
    Reset Firefox printer setting

Adding that "Note" was a good idea cover the older versions, although users "shouldn't" be using those older versions any longer.
    After all, we don't want to give Tylerdowner a stroke. :>)

under
    Reset all Firefox printer settings

line 6. needs to be fixed still
    6. Remove all lines in prefs.js that start with print. and save the file.

print. needs to be replaced with print_

this paragraph looks fine now<br /> '''Reset Firefox printer setting''' Adding that "Note" was a good idea cover the older versions, although users "shouldn't" be using those older versions any longer. <br />''After all, we don't want to give Tylerdowner a stroke.'' :>) under <br /> '''Reset all Firefox printer settings''' ''line 6. needs to be fixed still'' <br /> 6. Remove all lines in prefs.js that start with '''print.''' and save the file. '''print.''' needs to be replaced with '''print_'''
  7. ok, update my previous revision with the correct print_ (in prefs.js area)

thank you Ed

ok, update my previous revision with the correct print_ (in prefs.js area) thank you Ed
  8. more options

Sorry, but I'm not seeing that revision.
    I'm still seeing the period not the underscore.

I have the permissions to edit articles, but haven't done any editing myself so far. I just fixed that myself (got beyond my fear of screwing it up) just now.

Please check that it is corrected now.

No, it looks like my edit undid your previous edit of print.print_printer. to print_printer further up in that article. Sorry about that. I'm gonna stop there before I screw things up even worse. Please fix that.

Sorry and Thanks, Ed

Sorry, but I'm not seeing that revision. <br /> I'm still seeing the ''period'' not the underscore. I have the permissions to edit articles, but haven't done any editing myself so far. I just fixed that myself ''(got beyond my fear of screwing it up)'' just now. <s>Please check that it is corrected now.</s> '''No''', it looks like my edit undid your previous edit of '''''print.print_printer. ''''' to '''print_printer''' further up in that article. Sorry about that. I'm gonna stop there before I screw things up even worse. Please fix that. Sorry and Thanks, Ed
  9. Al ok now, you can check it.

thanks, xrhos

Al ok now, you can check it. thanks, xrhos
  10. more options

Looking good, thank you.

Looking good, thank you.
  11. more options

Hi,

Something in line 54 caught my attention:

Note: In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions print.print_printer was used for this preference.The print.print_printer preference maybe exist also when using older versions of Firefox with the same profile. Reseting that print.print_printer preference in that profile, restart Firefox, and then print anything and that preference won't reappear.

At first, it looked to me like the second line refers to an older version prior to 5.0, but I understand you mean an older version than the current (or 6.0 and up) release, right? Hence, shouldn’t this be newer (or 'current) versions at least?

This section may need a few typo/grammar fixes too, which I’m willing to help with.

Tonnes

Hi, Something in line 54 caught my attention: '''''Note:''' In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions print.print_printer was used for this preference.The print.print_printer preference maybe exist also when using '''older versions''' of Firefox with the same profile. Reseting that print.print_printer preference in that profile, restart Firefox, and then print anything and that preference won't reappear.'' At first, it looked to me like the second line refers to an older version '''prior to 5.0''', but I understand you mean an older version than the '''current''' (or 6.0 and up) release, right? Hence, shouldn’t this be '''newer''' (or ''''current''') versions at least? This section may need a few typo/grammar fixes too, which I’m willing to help with. Tonnes
  12. Hello Tonnes, you are correct, its a little bit confusing

How about :

The print.print_printer preference maybe exist also when using current versions of Firefox with an old profile (same profile as the 5.0 or previous versions).

thank you

Hello Tonnes, you are correct, its a little bit confusing How about : The print.print_printer preference maybe exist also when using current versions of Firefox with an old profile (same profile as the 5.0 or previous versions). thank you
  13. more options

How about:

Note: In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions print.print_printer was the preference name. The old preference name may exist along with the new name in a Profile that was used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version. That old preference can be removed via a right-click and Reset, then restart Firefox, and print something. That preference won't reappear, only the newer should be there.
    How about: <blockquote> Note: In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions '''print.print_printer''' was the preference name. The old preference name may exist along with the new name in a Profile that was used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version. That old preference can be removed via a right-click and Reset, then restart Firefox, and print something. That preference won't reappear, only the newer should be there.</blockquote>
  14. the-edmeister said

How about:
    Note: In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions print.print_printer was the preference name. The old preference name may exist along with the new name in a Profile that was used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version. That old preference can be removed via a right-click and Reset, then restart Firefox, and print something. That preference won't reappear, only the newer should be there.

yeessss, indeed, i like that !!

''the-edmeister [[#post-54508|said]]'' <blockquote> How about: <blockquote> Note: In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions '''print.print_printer''' was the preference name. The old preference name may exist along with the new name in a Profile that was used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version. That old preference can be removed via a right-click and Reset, then restart Firefox, and print something. That preference won't reappear, only the newer should be there.</blockquote> </blockquote> yeessss, indeed, i like that !!
  15. more options

That looks good, it clarifies and also solves the typo/grammar nits (space, maybe exist also and reseting).

Perhaps a little more carification about the fact the profile still in use is what we're aiming at? I.e. ... along with the new name in a current profile that was also used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version? (Mind the lowercase p as well.)

That looks good, it clarifies and also solves the typo/grammar nits (space, ''maybe exist also'' and ''reseting''). Perhaps a little more carification about the fact the profile still in use is what we're aiming at? I.e. ''... along with the new name in a '''current''' profile that was also used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version''? (Mind the lowercase p as well.)
  16. Hello Tonnes, like the next ?

Note: In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions print.print_printer was the preference name. The old preference name may exist along with the new name in a current profile that was also used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version. That old preference can be removed via a right-click and Reset, then restart Firefox, and print something. That preference won't reappear, only the newer should be there.

Hello Tonnes, like the next ? Note: In Firefox 5.0 and earlier versions print.print_printer was the preference name. The old preference name may exist along with the new name in a current profile that was also used with any pre- Firefox 6.0 version. That old preference can be removed via a right-click and Reset, then restart Firefox, and print something. That preference won't reappear, only the newer should be there.
  17. more options

Hi ideato,

Looks good to me. :) edmeister?

Oh, I just recall using bold text for print.print_printer here for our locale, just like the new preference. Feel free to do that too.

Hi ideato, Looks good to me. :) edmeister? Oh, I just recall using bold text for '''print.print_printer''' here for our locale, just like the new preference. Feel free to do that too.
  18. more options

I agree that bold should be used for preferences names.

As far as lowercase p vs capital P for profile, I'm in the habit using a capital P as used with a proper noun. IMO, in Firefox the word Profile is a title of significance, not a generic term. It may not be grammatically correct, but I don't think its wrong to treat it as a proper noun on the internet.

I agree that bold should be used for preferences names. As far as lowercase p vs capital P for profile, I'm in the habit using a capital P as used with a proper noun. IMO, in Firefox the word Profile is a title of significance, not a generic term. It may not be grammatically correct, but I don't think its wrong to treat it as a proper noun on the internet.
  19. Done. Thanks to the-edmeister and Tonnes.

THAT'S a team spirit.

Done. Thanks to the-edmeister and Tonnes. '''THAT'S a team spirit.'''
  20. more options

Thank you!

Thank you!