SUMO community discussions

Upgrade Prompts for out of Date Versions of Firefox

1. more options

Hey SUMO folks, As you may know, we have been using Heartbeat to prompt users who are running out of date versions of Firefox. These users see a heartbeat message that says "Your Firefox is critically out of date. An update is required to stay secure" and if the user clicks the "Update Now" button, they are sent to the Firefox download page, where they are told their version of Firefox is out of date, and to download a new one.

We had been running this prompt once a week, and it has so far resulted in well over 500k downloads of Firefox from out of date Firefox users (from 55, to two versions behind current). We have been running in the all EN, ES and DE locales.

We are currently strategizing how to better message users that are out of date, and the first phase of this is to experiment with prompting out of date users once a day. We will test this on 20% of the EN population, and ensure that there are no negative side-effects of increasing the frequency. If there are not, we plan to increase to 100% of en and other locales. We are also working on adding additional top locales (such a FR, RU, etc.) to the message.

Over the next few weeks, please keep an eye out for users who may be receiving this message in error (they are already on a recent version of Firefox, they have turned off Heartbeat, etc.) and if there is significant backlash against the frequency change please let me know. Note that we want users to be on the most recent version of Firefox, so rather than encouraging them to disable Heartbeat, please encourage them to update ASAP.

Thank you!

Hey SUMO folks, As you may know, we have been using Heartbeat to prompt users who are running out of date versions of Firefox. These users see a heartbeat message that says "Your Firefox is critically out of date. An update is required to stay secure" and if the user clicks the "Update Now" button, they are sent to the Firefox download page, where they are told their version of Firefox is out of date, and to download a new one. We had been running this prompt once a week, and it has so far resulted in well over 500k downloads of Firefox from out of date Firefox users (from 55, to two versions behind current). We have been running in the all EN, ES and DE locales. We are currently strategizing how to better message users that are out of date, and the first phase of this is to experiment with prompting out of date users once a day. We will test this on 20% of the EN population, and ensure that there are no negative side-effects of increasing the frequency. If there are not, we plan to increase to 100% of en and other locales. We are also working on adding additional top locales (such a FR, RU, etc.) to the message. Over the next few weeks, please keep an eye out for users who may be receiving this message in error (they are already on a recent version of Firefox, they have turned off Heartbeat, etc.) and if there is significant backlash against the frequency change please let me know. Note that we want users to be on the most recent version of Firefox, so rather than encouraging them to disable Heartbeat, please encourage them to update ASAP. Thank you!
  2. Tyler, I see you you updated the Rate your Firefox experience, surveys and out of date messages (Heartbeat) article today, to include information about the Heartbeat update prompt. I made a small edit to your revision since the "Opting out" section also applies to the "Please Rate Firefox" prompt.

The article could also use a new title now that it also includes update prompts but I'll leave that up to you or Joni.

Tyler, I see you you updated the [[Rate your Firefox experience (Heartbeat)]] article today, to include information about the Heartbeat update prompt. I made a small edit to your revision since the "Opting out" section also applies to the "Please Rate Firefox" prompt. The article could also use a new title now that it also includes update prompts but I'll leave that up to you or Joni.
  3. more options

Thank you Alice! And Yes, it definitely deserves a title change. We are using that URL to point users to, so if we change the URL please let me know

Thank you Alice! And Yes, it definitely deserves a title change. We are using that URL to point users to, so if we change the URL please let me know
  4. Does Heartbeat prompt users of an ESR, such as 52.5.0 ESR, that they need to upgrade? These folks chose to go to safe landing while extensions and other issues are worked out by the developers. I know this ESR will wind down starting in May but in the meantime are they harassed by this update prompt?

Does Heartbeat prompt users of an ESR, such as 52.5.0 ESR, that they need to upgrade? These folks chose to go to safe landing while extensions and other issues are worked out by the developers. I know this ESR will wind down starting in May but in the meantime are they harassed by this update prompt?
  5. more options

We can prompt ESR users, but we are targeting Firefox release only for this update message.

We can prompt ESR users, but we are targeting Firefox release only for this update message.
  6. more options

Hey folks, The test of 20% of the EN population went great! No complaints, the number of downloads went up, and the click through rate dropped as more and more users who wanted to update did so.

We will be expanding this to hit 100% of EN, every day. We are also expanding to multiple locales, ES-*, PT-*, zh-TW, Pl, IT, FR, DE, ID, RU. These locales will all see this message daily.

Hey folks, The test of 20% of the EN population went great! No complaints, the number of downloads went up, and the click through rate dropped as more and more users who wanted to update did so. We will be expanding this to hit 100% of EN, every day. We are also expanding to multiple locales, ES-*, PT-*, zh-TW, Pl, IT, FR, DE, ID, RU. These locales will all see this message daily.