SUMO community discussions

Firefox 28 Release / Issues / Status

1. more options

Hey Everyone, it's release week, and you know what that means! New versions for everyone!!! We will be releasing Firefox 28 tomorrow for all users (Throttled at first as we evaluate feedback, just as we usually release)

Lets get started here with Firefox 28 for Desktop

Desktop

• Metro support. As you may have seen, we have decided to cancel Firefox for Metro due to lack of use in the beta version. We weren't confident that we could ship a stable browser for Metro, and that once we did launch that the number of people using it would be worth the work we have to invest. This doesn't mean that Firefox doesn't work on Windows 8 though, this is something I've seen a few times. Firefox works and always has worked on Windows 8, this just means that the special version of Firefox we had made for the Metro interface of Windows 8 won't be released. If anyone has any questions please let me know.
    • There are a few additions for different Web Dev API's, like Gamepad support, some MathML 2.0 additions, some changes to WebM support, etc. These won't be use visible in most cases, but they will help make the web better for everyone in the future :)
    • Security. As you know we always include a few security fixes in every version of Firefox. This version is special because of Pwn2Own, a large security contest that happened last week. The fixes for the 4 exploits found in Firefox 27.0.1 will be released in Firefox 28, so EVERY user should update to Firefox 28 to fix these important security holes.
    • Release notes as always will be published tomorrow at http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/28.0/releasenotes/

Android

• There are some minor user visible changes in Firefox 28 for Android, most of which will just tweak the user experience. The first is a more native Cut, Copy Paste experience, which will help users experience a more consistent UI across their device when they copy and paste.
    • The Awesomebar is more awesome now, with predictive lookup helping speed up searches and lookups!
    • All the backend technology changes in Desktop are also in Android, so users of Mobile devices can experience the same awesome web that Desktop users can.
    • Also, Android users should make sure they update to remain secure as some of the security issues on desktop also affect android users.
    • Notes will be at http://www.mozilla.org/mobile/28.0/releasenotes/ tomorrow!

Thanks everyone! As always please feel free to post issues you feel the User Advocacy team should be aware of here in this thread, and thanks for making the web awesome!

Hey Everyone, it's release week, and you know what that means! New versions for everyone!!! We will be releasing Firefox 28 tomorrow for all users (Throttled at first as we evaluate feedback, just as we usually release) Lets get started here with Firefox 28 for Desktop '''Desktop''' * Metro support. As you may have seen, we have decided to cancel Firefox for Metro due to lack of use in the beta version. We weren't confident that we could ship a stable browser for Metro, and that once we did launch that the number of people using it would be worth the work we have to invest. This doesn't mean that Firefox doesn't work on Windows 8 though, this is something I've seen a few times. Firefox works and always has worked on Windows 8, this just means that the special version of Firefox we had made for the Metro interface of Windows 8 won't be released. If anyone has any questions please let me know. * There are a few additions for different Web Dev API's, like Gamepad support, some MathML 2.0 additions, some changes to WebM support, etc. These won't be use visible in most cases, but they will help make the web better for everyone in the future :) * Security. As you know we always include a few security fixes in every version of Firefox. This version is special because of Pwn2Own, a large security contest that happened last week. The fixes for the 4 exploits found in Firefox 27.0.1 will be released in Firefox 28, so EVERY user should update to Firefox 28 to fix these important security holes. * Release notes as always will be published tomorrow at http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/28.0/releasenotes/ '''Android''' * There are some minor user visible changes in Firefox 28 for Android, most of which will just tweak the user experience. The first is a more native Cut, Copy Paste experience, which will help users experience a more consistent UI across their device when they copy and paste. * The Awesomebar is more awesome now, with predictive lookup helping speed up searches and lookups! * All the backend technology changes in Desktop are also in Android, so users of Mobile devices can experience the same awesome web that Desktop users can. * Also, Android users should make sure they update to remain secure as some of the security issues on desktop also affect android users. * Notes will be at http://www.mozilla.org/mobile/28.0/releasenotes/ tomorrow! Thanks everyone! As always please feel free to post issues you feel the User Advocacy team should be aware of here in this thread, and thanks for making the web awesome!

Modified by NoahSUMO on

2. Tyler Downer said

Desktop
    • Metro support. As you may have seen, we have decided to cancel Firefox for Metro due to lac of use in the beta version. We weren't confident that we could ship a stable browser for Metro, and that once we did launch that the number of people using it would be worth the work we have to invest.

More info in the related bug:

(Thanks to philipp - see /forums/contributors/709962?&page=2#post-58065)

''Tyler Downer [[#post-58168|said]]'' <blockquote> '''Desktop''' * Metro support. As you may have seen, we have decided to cancel Firefox for Metro due to lac of use in the beta version. We weren't confident that we could ship a stable browser for Metro, and that once we did launch that the number of people using it would be worth the work we have to invest. </blockquote> More info in the related bug: *[https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=981166 Bug 981166] - Disable Metro builds (Thanks to philipp - see [/forums/contributors/709962?&page=2#post-58065])

Modified by AliceWyman on

3. australis is going into beta and reaching a lot more users than until now.

australis is going into beta and reaching a lot more users than until now.
  4. more options

phillipp, that is right. Look for another post from me soon discussing our Australis feedback Strategy and what we have been cooking up the past 12 weeks.

phillipp, that is right. Look for another post from me soon discussing our Australis feedback Strategy and what we have been cooking up the past 12 weeks.
  5. Hello,

As it has already happened when upgrading from version 26 to 27, several Windows XP users of the Italian Support forum have found Firefox unusable after having upgraded from version 27 to version 28.

When loading web pages, Firefox drains 100% of the CPU and the mouse cursor is not responsive.

Last time they solved the problem setting the preference

gfx.content.azure.backends

to the value direct2d (only).

Now it seems that this change is no more effective in solving the problem. It seems also that in the SUMO forums several users have complained about this issue. Have you any clue for a solution?

Thank you very much.

Hello, As it has already happened when upgrading from version 26 to 27, several Windows XP users of the Italian Support forum have found Firefox unusable after having upgraded from version 27 to version 28. When loading web pages, Firefox drains 100% of the CPU and the mouse cursor is not responsive. Last time they solved the problem setting the preference '''gfx.content.azure.backends''' to the value '''direct2d''' (only). Now it seems that this change is no more effective in solving the problem. It seems also that in the SUMO forums several users have complained about this issue. Have you any clue for a solution? Thank you very much.

Modified by Underpass on

6. @Underpass You meant direct2d (not direct3d).

See this thread about the issue: /questions/990934 How do I downgrade from v.28 to v.26?

The Firefox 27 workaround to change the gfx.content.azure.backends preference value to direct2d (only) as reported in /questions/985969#answer-534869 no longer works as of Firefox 28. The explanation is summarized in /questions/985969?page=3#answer-546599 Firefox is unbearably slow after updating to version 27 which I've copied below:

@John99

To summarize this thread: It's about Firefox 27 (and later) excessive CPU Kernel mode usage when dealing with animations.

The workaround I posted for v27 which is about disabling cairo in gfx.content.azure.backends can be found here: answer-534869

jscher2000's suggestion about disabling Azure using gfx.content.azure.enabled works just the same: answer-536548 

These workarounds are already known not to work as of v28 since gfx.content.azure.enabled was apparently removed in Firefox 28, as cor-el let us know: answer-536622 

A more complete description as well as a tight regression window can be found in this bug report: bug 973149

Instead of downgrading to Firefox 26 (or to Firefox 27 with the workaround) another "solution" would be to switch to Firefox 24 ESR.

EDIT: (in reply to John99) The Windows XP user who posted /questions/985969 Firefox is unbearably slow after updating to version 27 reported that "disabling add-ons, deleting add-ons, disabling hardware acceleration, restarting the computer, and reinstalling Firefox" didn't help and replied to jscher2000 that restarting in Firefox Safe Mode made no difference.

@Underpass You meant direct'''2'''d (not direct3d). See this thread about the issue: [/questions/990934] ''How do I downgrade from v.28 to v.26?'' The Firefox 27 workaround to change the '''gfx.content.azure.backends''' preference value to '''direct2d''' (only) as reported in [/questions/985969#answer-534869] no longer works as of Firefox 28. The explanation is summarized in [/questions/985969?page=3#answer-546599] ''Firefox is unbearably slow after updating to version 27'' which I've copied below: ----- @John99 To summarize this thread: It's about Firefox 27 (and later) excessive CPU Kernel mode usage when dealing with animations. The workaround I posted for v27 which is about disabling cairo in gfx.content.azure.backends can be found here: [https://support.mozilla.org/fr/questions/985969#answer-534869 answer-534869] jscher2000's suggestion about disabling Azure using gfx.content.azure.enabled works just the same: [https://support.mozilla.org/fr/questions/985969?page=2#answer-536548 answer-536548] These workarounds are already known not to work as of v28 since gfx.content.azure.enabled was apparently removed in Firefox 28, as cor-el let us know: [https://support.mozilla.org/fr/questions/985969?page=2#answer-536622 answer-536622] A more complete description as well as a tight regression window can be found in this bug report: [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=973149 bug 973149] ----- Instead of downgrading to Firefox 26 (or to Firefox 27 with the workaround) another "solution" would be to switch to [http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all.html Firefox 24 ESR]. '''EDIT''': (in reply to John99) The Windows XP user who posted [/questions/985969] ''Firefox is unbearably slow after updating to version 27'' reported that "disabling add-ons, deleting add-ons, disabling hardware acceleration, restarting the computer, and reinstalling Firefox" didn't help and replied to jscher2000 that restarting in Firefox Safe Mode made no difference.

Modified by AliceWyman on

7. Sorry, Alice, yes you're right: direct2d.

So, by now, the only way to solve the problem is to use Fx24 ESR. Right?

Sorry, Alice, yes you're right: '''direct2d'''. So, by now, the only way to solve the problem is to use Fx24 ESR. Right?
  8. Underpass said

Sorry, Alice, yes you're right: direct2d. So, by now, the only way to solve the problem is to use Fx24 ESR. Right?

Let's wait see if anyone else has a better solution (Tyler?)

''Underpass [[#post-58555|said]]'' <blockquote> Sorry, Alice, yes you're right: '''direct2d'''. So, by now, the only way to solve the problem is to use Fx24 ESR. Right? </blockquote> Let's wait see if anyone else has a better solution (Tyler?)
  9. Underpass, I do not suppose you know if this was a known and reported bug do you ?

Ignore see Alice's answer above

I am sure you will have thought of this but a first useful troubleshooting step may be to try in safemode. A second would be to try with Hardware Acceleration turned off.

Links to the Italian forum where this is reported now, and where it was solved previously may assist whoever it is that tries to look into this.

I am not sure if this will help but I tried to identify the likely original bug

• A top suspect is this one it apparently affected XP and Fx28
      Bug 934533 - Nightly Nov-04, crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) if gfx.content.azure.enabled = false
    • I discounted
    Underpass, I do not suppose you know if this was a known and reported bug do you ? Ignore see Alice's answer above <s>I am sure you will have thought of this but a first useful troubleshooting step may be to try in safemode. A second would be to try with Hardware Acceleration turned off. Links to the Italian forum where this is reported now, and where it was solved previously may assist whoever it is that tries to look into this. --------- I am not sure if this will help but I tried to identify the likely original bug * '''A top suspect is this one it apparently affected XP and Fx28''' <br /> [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=934533 Bug 934533] - Nightly Nov-04, crash in gfxContext::gfxContext(mozilla::gfx::DrawTarget*) if gfx.content.azure.enabled = false *I discounted ** [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=902532 bug 902532] - Spellchecking broken with non-ASCII characters in profile path <br />Just because it was a bug affecting none English Locales ** [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=933733 Bug 933733 - Page doesn't load/render if the mouse is not moving] <br />Just because it was cursor related, but it only affected Windows 7 anyhow. </s>

Modified by John99 on

10. Sorry, John, I'm afraid I do not understand your answer. :)

Every user reporting the problem has tried in safe-mode, with the HW acceleration off, with a new profile, and at the end the usual troubleshooting sequence.

Sorry, John, I'm afraid I do not understand your answer. :) Every user reporting the problem has tried in safe-mode, with the HW acceleration off, with a new profile, and at the end the usual troubleshooting sequence.
  11. Sorry I did not look too closely at what had been said .

I knew I had seen something recently but could not see it in a forum search and so tried looking through the bugs, but then posted without seeing Alice's reply.

Sorry I did not look too closely at what had been said . I knew I had seen something recently but could not see it in a forum search and so tried looking through the bugs, but then posted without seeing Alice's reply.
  12. We seem to be getting more hangs reported with Facebook than is usual. Rather early to say it is a Firefox 28 issue it could be security software hardware or almost anything. I have started a thread and listed some of the support questions

• Update, looking towards bug fix hopefully aiming for Fx29 beta 8 by 15th April
    We seem to be getting more hangs reported with Facebook than is usual. Rather early to say it is a Firefox 28 issue it could be security software hardware or almost anything. I have started a thread and listed some of the support questions * ''Facebook hanging in Fx28'' [/forums/support-forum-contributors/710159] * Update, looking towards bug fix hopefully aiming for Fx29 beta 8 by 15th April

Modified by John99 on

13. There is a Mac issue with Flashpayer. It may result in crashes and only affects some older Macs. Not a Firefox28 issue as it is the upgrade to the new Flashplayer spotted by cor-el

There is a Mac issue with Flashpayer. It may result in crashes and only affects some older Macs. Not a Firefox28 issue as it is the upgrade to the new Flashplayer spotted by ''cor-el'' * crashes on Mac after updating to Flash 13.0.0.182 <br/> [/forums/support-forum-contributors/710190]
  14. Not an issue, i think need to approve the revision because in two weeks from now Australis is released.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox

thank you

'''Not an issue''', i think need to approve the revision because in two weeks from now Australis is released. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/install-older-version-of-firefox thank you
  15. A mention for upcoming Firefox 29.0 release and in upcoming Beta build of Firefox 29.0 users who use WinXP and F-secure.

Bug 970362 - crash in fs_ccf_ni_umh32.dll@0x1ac00

A mention for upcoming Firefox 29.0 release and in upcoming Beta build of Firefox 29.0 users who use WinXP and F-secure. [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=970362 Bug 970362] - crash in fs_ccf_ni_umh32.dll@0x1ac00

Modified by James on

16. Bug 9703262 #c25appears to be fixed now for Fx29 ≤ 31

Bug 9703262 [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=970362#c25 #c25]appears to be fixed now for Fx29 ≤ 31