I am in India. How can i get firefox OS on my smartphone.
I am based out of Mumbai, India. I am interested in trying out Firefox OS. I believe it can give an experience, which is open and intuitive than compared to others. But i need to try it first. Is there a way as of now in India? Secondly can I download Firefox OS and install on my existing android phone?
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0
Thanks for your interest in Firefox OS. There are several ways you could use to try out Firefox OS.
1. You can try the Firefox OS simulator on your computer. See here for more:
2. You can install Firefox OS on an existing device. Please note that only some devices are supported and different devices have different levels of support. Tier 1 devices are better supported than Tier 2 or 3 devices. See here for more:
3. You can buy a Firefox OS developer phone. Either a Geeksphone or a ZTE Open from US / UK / Hong Kong ebay. See here:
4. You can wait and buy a Firefox OS phone when one is released in India. I believe Sony are planning to release the Xperia E with Firefox OS in the near future. See here:
I hope this helps. Let me know if not.
Glad to hear you are interested in the Firefox OS. There is a lot of information about how to install Firefox OS over at the Mozilla developer site. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS.
Check that out and see if it provides the information you need - spinnity
Also I should have mentioned that if you buy a ZTE Open off ebay you must make sure that you get the right one for your region. I believe the models have different 3G frequency band support.
And if you want to just try out some Open Web Apps in the Firefox Marketplace you can install them on your Android phone by visiting the marketplace in the Firefox Aurora browser. See here:
It looks like the ZTE Open is now available in India on ebay for Rs. 6,990.00:
Can I install on ZTE N790
Can I install on ZTE N790?
It may be possible but you would need to do a lot of the work to figure out how to make it stable yourself.
Firefox OS development is targeted at only certain phones for compatibility. Please see here:
You can also sign up to be in the know for Firefox OS. Visit mozilla.org/firefoxos
can we install fx os on Penta Tablets
@Rigin Oommen, I have never tried that but if you look to see if it supports the Android sdk you can try this, please note though this may Brick the device! foundhttp://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2147423