Mozilla Firefox start page redirects to ask.com
Instead of Google, I am getting about:home as the default start page, and it redirects to ask.com instead of to Google when doing a search. I think the search page was open yesterday when the computer shut down due to a transient power outage, and it was on Google. I could try restarting Firefox again, but it will probably take ten minutes to reload everything I have open with my slow connection.
Additional System Details
Just once or twice
This started when...
after a transient outage (I think)
- Shockwave Flash 10.1 r102
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_21 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- Google Updater pluginhttp://pack.google.com/
- Panda ActiveScan 2.0 Plugin for Firefox
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- Google Update
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape "9.4.1"
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0b8) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0b8
running in safe mode
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/questions/769519 try this? if it helps?
The above, unfortunately, didn't work for me. I still had the ask.com redirect in the search bar on the about:home page. The following DID work: I went to Help - Restart with Add-ons disabled. When restarting, I clicked on“Reset all user preferences to Firefox defaults” and “Restore default search engines”. Voila!!! I only lost the "persona" in Firefox. That was it. Google search bar is back alive.
it didnt work for me):
Do you have a problem with the search engine on the about:home page?
Reset the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone pref via the right-click context menu to the default on the about:config page and close and restart Firefox to restore the about:home page to its default.
- Open the about:config page via the location bar
- Type in the Filter bar: mstone
- Right-click the browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone line and select: Reset
- Close and restart Firefox
If that didn't help then delete the chromeappsstore.sqlite file in the Firefox Profile Folder and repeat the above.
Modified by Noah_SUMO