How do I STOP unwanted, unsolicited Bookmarks from showing up in the Unsorted Bookmarks folder?
Unwanted, unsolicited Bookmarks are showing up in my Unsorted Bookmarks folder.
- Shockwave Flash 11.5 r502
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.4
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:16.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/16.0
I'm using Windows 7, regrettably.
Make sure that you do not accidentally click the star on the location bar as that is the most likely way to bookmark website silently to the unsorted folder.
I got a similar problem. Here's my question
Hi, I recently discovered that there was an unwanted website in my bookmark. I would never in this world have added this website in my bookmark. This site was actually a sex chat site which is really inappropriate and I never go on those websites or adult site. For the past month, I’ve been asking me that question. How did this site appear in my bookmark? I am really paranoid with what happen and i really need an explanation. The only thing I'm guilty of is downloading movies. I use Torrent search to search for my movies and once I found it I use Utorrent to download them. I often get a lots of unwanted site and pop ups when i do my search depending on where i go get my movies ( kickasstorrent, SumoTorrent, TorrentCrazy etc...) 3 or 4 windows opens at the same time and most of the time my computer freezes. I rush to close them all at one because I don't want any of these website on my computer. Would it be possible that I downloaded a virus, or some hacker was actually on my computer???? Please help me. Thank you
Do a malware check with some malware scanning programs on the Windows computer.
You need to scan with all programs because each program detects different malware.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- http://www.superantispyware.com/ - SuperAntispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx - Microsoft Safety Scanner
- http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx - Windows Defender: Home Page
- http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html - Spybot Search & Destroy
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- "Spyware on Windows": http://kb.mozillazine.org/Popups_not_blocked