Firefox crashing repeatedly
Firefox seems to crash repeatedly and generates no crash reports, just freezes up my pc. It works in troubleshooting mode but even after refreshing, the problem persists. Surprisingly, it will consistently crash if I go to `about:support` (except in troubleshooting mode). Any help would be appreciated!
All Replies (7)
FYI, disabling hardware acceleration/uninstalling themes and extensions did not work. Chrome works correctly
In addition to disabling hardware acceleration, go to about:config in the address bar and change webgl.disabled to true.
Yes, thank you, that seemed to be the culprit. Do you know why it might be causing the issue because I don't think disabling webgl is a long term solution
I don't think this is really a solution so I will revoke my acceptance for the answer. Figma, meet and so on won't even function without webgl and refreshing graphics drivers did not help. Open to other suggestions.
- You can see your GPU details in about:support#graphics.
- If you have a dedicated GPU, you could try switching to/from the integrated GPU.
- Your Linux distribution might have a repo available with newer/older graphics drivers.
- The snap and flatpak packages of Firefox are worth testing as they may use different driver versions.
- See if other OpenGL applications cause a crash like glmark2 and glmark2-es2.
So just to give an update here, this seems to be an issue with the 118 build of firefox with every nvidia driver above 455 (as far as I can tell, didn't test any drivers below that version). For some reason, the ubunutu default repo for firefox is set to v118 even though it is not in a stable state as far as I am aware. v117 works fine for me at least.