After upgrading to 74, downloads do not work.
Download links do not work. No download arrow is visible in header. Nothing happens when clicking on download link. I am stuck. Sorry I updated.
All Replies (5)
The Refresh feature (called "Reset" in older Firefox versions) can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies, and other essential information.
Note: When you use this feature, you will lose any extensions, toolbar customizations, and some preferences. See the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article for more information.
To Refresh Firefox:
- Open the Troubleshooting Information page using one of these methods:
- Click the menu button , click help and select Troubleshooting Information. A new tab containing your troubleshooting information should open.
- If you're unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting Information page.
- At the top right corner of the page, you should see a button that says "Refresh Firefox" ("Reset Firefox" in older Firefox versions). Click on it.
- Firefox will close. After the refresh process is completed, Firefox will show a window with the information that is imported.
- Click Finish and Firefox will reopen.
Firefox 57+ auto-hides the Downloads button on the Navigation Toolbar by default. The Download button should appear on the Navigation Toolbar once you open the Customize window. If you do not see the Download icon then click the Restore Defaults button to reset the layout in case you previously have moved this button. Once you see the Download button in customize mode then left-click this button to see the current auto-hide state and toggle its setting.
Here is my biggest complaint with Firefox. Everyone's solution to everything that goes astray is to use the Reset tool. The BIG issue with the Reset is you loose all your customization and Plugins. WHAT A PAIN! I can't tell you how many times I've had to Reset and then rebuilt Firefox to get it to work for me again. Come on developers, you can do better than this! At least there should be a facility to restore customization and plugins after resetting.
And you wonder why people are slow to upgrade. Very frustrating!
And another Rant while I am at it. Why in the world has Firefox hidden all the good tools, like the Download button, and the menu bar, etc, with the default configuration. You really make it hard to use, hiding things that most people use. Are you neat freaks or what? And with the above Reset, it more stuff which has to be manually reconfigured. Can't you just leave well it alone!
Ok, the Reset did bring back the ability to download files. And it was not that the download tool bar was not visible, the file download dialog box just never appeared.
You really need to work on a better way to restore functionality, and put back common tools in the default configuration.