Why doesn't my new computer get the whole history file when I try to sync?
I got a new laptop and installed Firefox. I tried to sync with my old laptop, and it got a couple dozen URLs for each month of the past six months, but I went to hundreds of URLs in each of those months. I want my whole history. Going back four years in fact.
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:71.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/71.0
You can copy places.sqlite (and possibly favicons.sqlite) on the old laptop to a USB (flash) drive and copy this file to the profile folder on the new laptop.
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Show Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
You can copy files like these with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to recover specific data.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (passwords) and key4.db (58+) or key3.db (57 and older) (decryption key) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
if you only have key3.db then make sure to remove an existing key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) or cert8.db (57 and older) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
if you only have cert8.db then make sure to remove an existing cert9.db
- persdict.dat for words you added to the spelling checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
Thanks, that worked!
But why doesn't Firefox sync it all automatic'ly? Why does it only bring over a small part?
It is possible that only the last few months (60 days) are synced and syncing is done in small chunks, so it can take some time to sync a large history.