stop FF doing DNS lookup when I hover over a link
I start FF in safe-mode. I open a local page which includes only one URL. When I hover on this link I see (`tcpdump`) a DNS lookup being performed for this domain. I followed the suggestions from Mozilla but I still see this.
How do I stop this access.
I use FF "156.0 (64-bit)" on Fedora 44.
TIA
Všetky odpovede (12)
This is described in How to stop Firefox from making automatic connections section "Prefetching" › "Link prefetching" › "DNS prefetching": support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections#w_dns-prefetching
If the preferences documented there do not have any effect, it might be worth reporting either a pref bug, or a stale content at least. Thanks for checking.
Upravil(a) jbr dňa
Yes, what how-stop-firefox-making-automatic-connections recommends was done. Surely I am not the first person to notice this?
I will appreciate hearing from other people doing the same. I simply run
$ sudo tcpdump -l port 53 -i eth1
where eth1 is the interface to my internet modem. Internal connections are on another interface.
I open this file
the conversation
[unfortunately the editor is hiding my actual text. How can I insert unmolested text???]
I then move the focus (the mouse) to another window and hover over the link, briefly, and immediately see
09:09:56.218995 IP e7.eyal.emu.id.au.52426 > h.gtld-servers.net.domain: 47967% [1au] HTTPS? theconversation.com. (60) 09:09:56.219101 IP e7.eyal.emu.id.au.59252 > 120.19.253.254.domain: 11696+ [1au] A? theconversation.com. (48) 09:09:56.219326 IP e7.eyal.emu.id.au.48388 > 120.19.253.254.domain: 3849+ [1au] A? theconversation.com. (48) 09:09:56.396917 IP 120.19.253.254.domain > e7.eyal.emu.id.au.48388: 3849 4/0/1 A 151.101.66.132, A 151.101.130.132, A 151.101.194.132, A 151.101.2.132 (112) 09:09:56.396917 IP 120.19.253.254.domain > e7.eyal.emu.id.au.59252: 11696 4/0/1 A 151.101.66.132, A 151.101.130.132, A 151.101.194.132, A 151.101.2.132 (112)
This is followed by many other probes, but I am only interested in the start of this activity which is timed exactly with the hover. Maybe an add-on is still active, despite the --safe-mode? Some of the probes may be from my local bind, listening to 192.168.3.7. My resolv.conf includes:
nameserver 192.168.3.7 nameserver 120.19.253.253 nameserver 120.19.253.254
Upravil(a) mozilla888 dňa
[deleted, was due to a submit error]
Upravil(a) mozilla888 dňa
[Deleted, was due to a submit error]
Upravil(a) mozilla888 dňa
Well that's not what you posted above "I open a local page which includes only one URL" — which I did to confirm the pref.
data:text/html,link <a href="https://example.net">here</a>
Default preload: https://pastes.io/LLUmuUqd After disabling: https://pastes.io/B4DbpNEn
So you're only interested in hearing back from those not having the pref make any difference? Aight so that's not me, ta-ra!
What are you referring to by "not what you posted above"? I wanted to include my small file but the editor removed parts of it. I now attached an image of the file. HTH.
I can see how your second log shows there is no domain probe. Good. This is what I want but not what I get.
Is it possible, that despite the --safe-mode, an add-on (e.g. Adblock Plus) is activated?
TIA
Ah, now I understand — the instructions read as to follow the rendered link and hover content there — not as there's a sample markup to use (hint: the wiki markup syntax is covered in Markup chart, you probably want to wrap code in nowiki tags as well).
I can only verify things like this in an isolated setup, so: new profile, not enrolling into any productivity features, blank home/tab, doh off, search provider off (set to custom localhost with no autocomplete endpoint, as default, others disabled) and then about:networking to flush caches and restart, and flush again — and then test.
So I'd recommend doing that outside of your normal browsing setup first, if you can confirm the difference — and then look for what is different in your common profile and reduce the functionality there to comparable experiment.
mkdir sacrificial && firefox --profile ./sacrificial --no-remote --new-instance … for completely throwaway launching;)
I logged a bug report at
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2075933
and I am still trying to identify the reason for my issue.
The suggested use of a sacrificial profile works as expected, but with the same settings my daily profile continues to issue DNS queries.
Upravil(a) mozilla888 dňa
Then I don't think it's a defect if a clean profile doesn't reproduce on your system — which is a good news, and only seems to be a matter of configuration.
There might be features that still rely on prefetching of their own, like potentially Preview webpages in Firefox with link preview but I'd assumed you've turned all similar things off when you're concerned about preloads?
I also think that I am missing an option or a setting. I do not have the mentioned "Enable link previews" feature. BTW AI is disabled.
So yes, I turned off everything I could think of, or found when searching.
Apart from using tcpdump to see the probes, is there a way to see a FF log that will show which feature is triggered on hover?
(Yes, that would be nuked with AI kill switch.)
If you get more familiar with the about:logging functionality in terms of adding modules and raising verbosity you might be able to track back the call sites from the networking logs if you want to investigate your profile case more closely. (Or, ask the developer on the bug how to best configure the modules and verbosity for that.)
https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/networking/http/logging.html