Cannot uninstall an add-on
This article describes how to uninstall an extension or theme that can't be removed by following the instructions in Disable or remove Add-ons or Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page.
- If you are not able to uninstall a plugin, see Manually uninstalling a plugin.
Table of Contents
Uninstall from Firefox Safe Mode
If you can't access the Add-ons Manager or if the Safe Mode.button is grayed out for a certain add-on, you may need to uninstall it from Firefox
- At the top of the Firefox window, click the button, go over to the menuOn the menu bar, click the menuAt the top of the Firefox window, click the and select menu . Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.holding down the option key while starting Firefox.quitting Firefox and then going to your Terminal and running:
You may need to specify the Firefox installation path (e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)Click the menu button , click help and select. Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.holding down the option key while starting Firefox.quitting Firefox and then going to your Terminal and running:
You may need to specify the Firefox installation path (e.g. /usr/lib/firefox)
- In the Firefox Safe Mode dialog, click .
Once Firefox has started in Safe Mode, try removing the add-on again and then restarting Firefox.
If you are unable to remove an add-on in Firefox Safe Mode, first navigate to the folder where extensions are installed:
Open your profile folder:
At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button, go over to the menuOn the menu bar, click on the menuAt the top of the Firefox window, click on the and select menu . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.Click the menu button , click help and select . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
- Under the Application Basics section, click on filesfolder will open. . A window with your profile
- Open the extensions folder inside your profile folder. Inside the extensions folder there are folders or XPI files for each extension and theme you have installed.
- To determine which folder or XPI file corresponds to the extension you want to uninstall, return to Firefox and the tab.
- In the Extensions section, find the extension you want to remove and note the string in the ID column.
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit
- Delete the folder or XPI file that corresponds to the extension ID you noted above.
Globally installed extensions
In rare cases (e.g. Java Console), extensions are installed globally, into the Firefox installation folder. To remove a globally installed extension, follow these steps:
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit
- Go to your Firefox installation folder.
- Go to the extensions folder inside the installation folder.
- Follow the steps above to locate the appropriate folder to delete.
Uninstall from Windows Control Panel
Some add-ons are installed by other programs. You may be able to uninstall the add-on from the Windows Control Panel:
- See How to change or remove a program in Windows XP at Microsoft Support.
Extensions installed by other software
Sometimes installing or updating other software will add an extension which can't be removed from within the Firefox Add-ons manager because itsbutton is not functional.
The software that added the Firefox extension may include an option to remove it. You should visit the support site of the software provider for more information. As an alternative, simply disable the extension in the Firefox Add-ons manager if you no longer wish to use it. To disable the extension, select it, then click on itsbutton. The extension will be disabled after you restart Firefox.
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
If you have programs that use Microsoft .NET Framework components, a Microsoft update may have installed an extension called Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant.
To remove this extension, follow the instructions in Microsoft's article How to remove the .NET Framework Assistant for Firefox.
Java Quick Starter
If you have Java software installed, you may see the Java Quick Starter extension in your list of extensions. This extension has itsbutton disabled.
To remove this extension, follow the instructions to disable the Java Quick Starter in Oracle's Java Quick Starter article. You may need to close Firefox while executing those instructions.
When you restart Firefox, the Java Quick Starter extension will be removed.
Based on information from Uninstalling add-ons (mozillaZine KB)
Share this article: http://mzl.la/L5Z2JK