Hi - I'm running Firefox 39 on Windows 7 PC desktop, 64-bit. This has been bothering me for a few weeks. While troubleshooting this, I have backed up the bookmarks I w…
Hi - I'm running Firefox 39 on Windows 7 PC desktop, 64-bit.
- This has been bothering me for a few weeks. While troubleshooting this, I have backed up the bookmarks I wanted correctly, I even exported an HTML bookmarks file as well as a backup JSON bookmarks file - just in case I might be dealing with a corrupted JSON or places.sqlite or other mysterious file.
- The problem persists. I'll have, for example, 100 bookmarks. Then suddenly, in the middle of my work, I'll notice that some of my bookmarks in my toolbar and elsewhere have disappeared for no reason. When I check the backup bookmarks JSON files after I close and re-open the browser, I see an old file containing my correct 100 bookmarks - and a NEWER file that has, let's say, 55 bookmarks. Poof! Forty-five (45) bookmarks have vanished in a flash.
- As a last resort - I did two things - 1) I backed up the bookmarks I want - and re-set my browser to create a new profile, which creates a new places.sqlite file. Problem continued. Then, in total frustration, 2) I backed up my key password and cookies SQLITE, DB and JSON files and did a complete UNINSTALL of the browser - AS WELL AS - removing all "Mozilla" entries from the registry.
- From there, I downloaded and commenced a new clean install of Firefox and put back the few data files from my old profile and put them into the new one. Thought all would be well. But no - the problem persists.
- I'm wondering if there is something embedded into the browser - either an add on or something in one of the SQLITE files - that is causing this baffling situation. Yes, it's good that I can restore my old bookmarks back to their original state. But scores of them continue to disappear in the middle of a session. And when I close that session - the LAST visible bookmarks become part of a new backup JSON file that is generated, minus a lot of my original bookmarks.
- I hope this makes sense. I already know how to restore bookmarks. I just can't figure out why they keep disappearing! Help!
- Slammed and Sleepless in San Diego.
I have 3 folders set up on my bookmark toolbar. Seemingly randomly all my bookmarks will collect in one folder and the other 2 folders will be empty. It seems to select…
I have 3 folders set up on my bookmark toolbar. Seemingly randomly all my bookmarks will collect in one folder and the other 2 folders will be empty. It seems to select a different folder each time it does this. I manually move all the bookmarks back to their correct folder and it will be correct for some time, then it will all be in one folder again. It does this on my desktop and my laptop.