Knowledge Base discussions

[In KB] Location bar autocomplete

1. Address bar autocomplete suggestions in Firefox

I have a screencast for this article.

This article needs:

• A section about the new "switch to tab" feature.
    • I think it also should get a short section about location bar search that links to the location bar search article for more info. I added a bit about this in the screencast since it seems like a natural fit — you type something in the location bar and you don't get any results so you just hit enter to do a search.
    • New screenshots
    [[Location bar autocomplete]] I have a screencast for this article. This article needs: *A section about the new "switch to tab" feature. *I think it also should get a short section about location bar search that links to the location bar search article for more info. I added a bit about this in the screencast since it seems like a natural fit — you type something in the location bar and you don't get any results so you just hit enter to do a search. *New screenshots

Modified by Michael Verdi on

2. I approved the two pending revisions and I'm working on these updates for Fx 4.

I approved the two pending revisions and I'm working on these updates for Fx 4.
  3. Hello Michael,

There are some links (both internal and external) also requiring to be fixed.

Bye ;)

Hello Michael, There are some links (both internal and external) also requiring to be fixed. Bye ;)
  4. Thanks for the heads up underpass - fixed them.

Also:

• New intro
    • Added screencast
    • Fx4 screenshots
    • Consolidated redundant info (overview section and using the autocomplete list section)
    • Added switch to tab section
    • Moved removing results into controling results section
    • New headings
    Thanks for the heads up underpass - fixed them. Also: *New intro *Added screencast *Fx4 screenshots *Consolidated redundant info (overview section and using the autocomplete list section) *Added switch to tab section *Moved removing results into controling results section *New headings
  5. I created a new revision with the following changes:

• "Of course you can also use your mouse to click on a result. " -- this sentence feels redundant as anyone using a computer would try that. I mostly point this out because the paragraph is pretty long as it is. The value, imo, is in pointing out the keyboard shortcuts ("When you see the site you want, use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to highlight it and then press Enter to go to the page."), since that can teach users to not move their hand from the keyboard, saving time. I made a slight simplification of it in my new revision.
    • Both "Location bar" and "location bar" was used in the article, so I changed all to "location bar." The screenshot of the Options window seems to support that (de)capitalization convention.
    • Capitalized one instance of "return" and "enter"

Some additional comments on things I didn't change:

• Why is the first sentence in the summary bold? Is this the convention that we're using, or was this sentence extra important?
    • The paragraph starting with "The location bar will find results for you across word boundaries" -- borderline too much information? I doubt many people cares about the exact matching algorithms and would be in favor of removing that info, especially since it pushes down more relevant info like the learnability aspects of the awesome bar.
    I created a new revision with the following changes: * "Of course you can also use your mouse to click on a result. " -- this sentence feels redundant as anyone using a computer would try that. I mostly point this out because the paragraph is pretty long as it is. The value, imo, is in pointing out the keyboard shortcuts ("When you see the site you want, use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to highlight it and then press Enter to go to the page."), since that can teach users to not move their hand from the keyboard, saving time. I made a slight simplification of it in my new revision. * Both "Location bar" and "location bar" was used in the article, so I changed all to "location bar." The screenshot of the Options window seems to support that (de)capitalization convention. * Capitalized one instance of "return" and "enter" Some additional comments on things I didn't change: * Why is the first sentence in the summary bold? Is this the convention that we're using, or was this sentence extra important? * The paragraph starting with "The location bar will find results for you across word boundaries" -- borderline too much information? I doubt many people cares about the exact matching algorithms and would be in favor of removing that info, especially since it pushes down more relevant info like the learnability aspects of the awesome bar.
  6. I have additional remarks:

• The summary is different from the introduction.
    • djst removed non-breaking spaces (Alt+0160 on Windows, see bug 613223 for the likely cause) which make "mozilla * support #" broken.
    I have additional remarks: * The summary is different from the introduction. * djst removed non-breaking spaces (Alt+0160 on Windows, see [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=613223 bug 613223] for the likely cause) which make "mozilla * support #" broken.
  7. Whoops. Good catch, scoobi. I created a new revision with your added remarks. My previous comments still remain unchanged though -- Michael, your input there would be great.

Whoops. Good catch, scoobi. I created a new revision with your added remarks. My previous comments still remain unchanged though -- Michael, your input there would be great.
  8. I fixed a typo, removed that paragraph about matches across word boundaries (I'd debated cutting it myself) and approved it.

I made the first sentence of the intro bold because I wanted to draw attention to the location bar - Awesome Bar connection. I also point that out in the video. It's just that this feature is referred to as Awesome Bar in so many places I want to help people understand that they are indeed on the correct article.

I fixed a typo, removed that paragraph about matches across word boundaries (I'd debated cutting it myself) and approved it. I made the first sentence of the intro bold because I wanted to draw attention to the location bar - Awesome Bar connection. I also point that out in the video. It's just that this feature is referred to as Awesome Bar in so many places I want to help people understand that they are indeed on the correct article.
  9. Just a thought, but wouldn't just bolding "Awesome Bar" be enough? Anyway, the article looks great!

Just a thought, but wouldn't just bolding "Awesome Bar" be enough? Anyway, the article looks great!
  10. There have been a few typo and keyword changes by me, Besnik and scoobidiver.

There have been a few typo and keyword changes by me, Besnik and scoobidiver.
  11. I approved an April 1 2011 revision by dietrich:
    "Add % to search for pages in currently open tabs that match what you've typed."
    ... but I rejected the second revision (to add a note explaining that the awesomebar restriction characters are customizable via about:config) with a link back to this thread. The second revision left out the first revision and besides, I felt that about:config customizations are not needed in this "how to" article .

I approved an April 1 2011 revision by dietrich: <br> "Add '''%''' to search for pages in currently open tabs that match what you've typed." <br> ... but I rejected the second revision (to add a note explaining that the awesomebar restriction characters are customizable via about:config) with a link back to this thread. The second revision left out the first revision and besides, I felt that about:config customizations are not needed in this "how to" article .