Knowledge Base discussions

[In KB] Getting started with Firefox (was Browsing basics)

1. Get started with Firefox - An overview of the main features

Erik Rose fixed a gerundive mode issue (I am not sure that hit is associated to try).

yecril71pl added a section to open a file (does not take into account the Firefox 4 menu).

[[Browsing basics]] Erik Rose fixed a gerundive mode issue (I am not sure that hit is associated to try). yecril71pl added a section to open a file (does not take into account the Firefox 4 menu).
  2. My plan is to completely rewrite this article and create a screencast for it next week.

My plan is to completely rewrite this article and create a screencast for it next week.
  3. This is ready for review. The article is completely different. The scope is different than the original article. I also added a new screencast for Fx4 and included one for Fx 36 that was made for us by Howcast and featured briefly on our home page (Sept 2010 - Nov 2010 I think).

This is ready for review. The article is completely different. The scope is different than the original article. I also added a new screencast for Fx4 and included one for Fx 36 that was made for us by Howcast and featured briefly on our home page (Sept 2010 - Nov 2010 I think).
  4. Cww reviewed and made a few changes, then I approved his revision.

Cww reviewed and made a few changes, then I approved his revision.
  5. I also renamed the article Get started with Firefox - An overview of the main features to go along with the video. This was from a conversation that David and I had on IRC.

I also renamed the article [[Getting started with Firefox]] to go along with the video. This was from a conversation that David and I had on IRC.
  6. This article now looks great and the video is nice. Thanks Michael for your job!

I have some remarks:

• The How to search the contents of the current page for text or links feature is missing (see the discussion how important it is for users in bug 634454).
    • With all used fx4 tags, this article won't render well in Firefox 5.
    • {for fx35}{for win,fx4}....: This kind of stuff does not work.
    • {for not win} is to avoid as there is {for mac,linux}.
    • Typo in: See, What is Firefox Sync? to lean more
    • add begin, basics, using as keywords.
    This article now looks great and the video is nice. Thanks Michael for your job! I have some remarks: * The [[Searching within a page]] feature is missing (see the discussion how important it is for users in [https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=634454#c11 bug 634454]). * With all used fx4 tags, this article won't render well in Firefox 5. * {for fx35}{for win,fx4}....: This kind of stuff does not work. * {for not win} is to avoid as there is {for mac,linux}. * Typo in: See, What is Firefox Sync? to lean more * add begin, basics, using as keywords.
  7. I edited and approved the unlocalizable Template:New to Firefox template for the new article name.

I edited and approved the unlocalizable [https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/templatenew-firefox Template:New to Firefox] template for the new article name.
  8. Can someone with admin rights change the thread title to Needs Updates?

Can someone with admin rights change the thread title to Needs Updates?
  9. First and fore most - the majority of users that use firefox would be alienated from the first sentences spoken then throughout the entire presentation.

why ? Because the material is founded on the assumption that the viewer has a basic technical web introduction or a basic computer usage introduction for that matter. So the entire audience that doesn't is instantly discarded and left with no reference.

A solid example of this is the number of people that go to web chat support and ask how-tos for the simplest - supposedly obvious things in firefox.

The first point that is made is for the homepage. I can guarantee you millions don't even know what the beep a home page is. Non English people are quite prone to getting lost on this. Even English natives with no technical knowledge to speak of can get confused on what exactly is the meaning and function of homepage despite its appearance and association.

Most of the entire intro, seems have been under the priority of boasting what the developer team thinks is making FF awesome, without actually trying to communicate that to the various other groups that use it. FF is indeed awesome, if you don't get to the level of whomever you are addressing however most people will assume its a marketing ploy or sheer preaching. Many words no show.

Captions are lacking and contents page isn't really stroked out on view.

For any dissatisfaction on this comment refer to Topal.

For other uses I'm prevalently present at the irc channel as RaZoR.

First and fore most - the majority of users that use firefox would be alienated from the first sentences spoken then throughout the entire presentation. why ? Because the material is founded on the assumption that the viewer has a basic technical web introduction or a basic computer usage introduction for that matter. So the entire audience that doesn't is instantly discarded and left with no reference. A solid example of this is the number of people that go to web chat support and ask how-tos for the simplest - supposedly obvious things in firefox. The first point that is made is for the homepage. I can guarantee you millions don't even know what the beep a home page is. Non English people are quite prone to getting lost on this. Even English natives with no technical knowledge to speak of can get confused on what exactly is the meaning and function of homepage despite its appearance and association. Most of the entire intro, seems have been under the priority of boasting what the developer team thinks is making FF awesome, without actually trying to communicate that to the various other groups that use it. FF is indeed awesome, if you don't get to the level of whomever you are addressing however most people will assume its a marketing ploy or sheer preaching. Many words no show. Captions are lacking and contents page isn't really stroked out on view. For any dissatisfaction on this comment refer to Topal. For other uses I'm prevalently present at the irc channel as RaZoR.

Modified by RaZoR on

10. RaZoR, Sorry this thread should have been locked. If you want, please start a new thread here: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/getting-started-firefox/discuss

But to address your comments - I think you have a point that we don't have any documentation for complete novices. I don't think this article is the place for that. I could see an article that gets people up to speed on basic computer skills with links to things like setting your homepage as an "advanced" topic.

As far as the usefulness of this article, I'll have to disagree. It's one of most popular and highly rated articles. It's clearly succeeding. And it has nothing to do with promoting developer or PR team priorities. I re-wrote the article from scratch a few months ago based on what people actually ask about and what I think they'll want to know about if they knew it existed.

RaZoR, Sorry this thread should have been locked. If you want, please start a new thread here: https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/getting-started-firefox/discuss But to address your comments - I think you have a point that we don't have any documentation for complete novices. I don't think this article is the place for that. I could see an article that gets people up to speed on basic computer skills with links to things like setting your homepage as an "advanced" topic. As far as the usefulness of this article, I'll have to disagree. It's one of most popular and highly rated articles. It's clearly succeeding. And it has nothing to do with promoting developer or PR team priorities. I re-wrote the article from scratch a few months ago based on what people actually ask about and what I think they'll want to know about if they knew it existed.