SUMO community discussions

[Action needed] Mozilla Support Contributor Survey 2024

1. Hi folks,

We’re doing another round of contributor survey again this year. It’s important to hear from you, so we know how you all feel about our community program and how to improve it for the better.

Your participation and feedback are essential to us. Please fill out this survey and share it with your fellow contributors before Thursday, Mar 28, 2024. It should only take about 5 minutes to complete the survey.

Should you have any questions about the survey, please comment below.

Keep on rocking the helpful web, Kiki

Hi folks, We’re doing another round of contributor survey again this year. It’s important to hear from you, so we know how you all feel about our community program and how to improve it for the better. Your participation and feedback are essential to us. '''Please fill out [https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7691437/2024-Mozilla-Support-Contributor-Survey this survey] and share it with your fellow contributors before Thursday, Mar 28, 2024. '''It should only take about 5 minutes to complete the survey. Should you have any questions about the survey, please comment below. Keep on rocking the helpful web, Kiki
  2. Hi Kiki

In the past few years when we have completed these surveys nothing really happens and the same problems remain.

What is going to be different this time?

Hi Kiki In the past few years when we have completed these surveys nothing really happens and the same problems remain. What is going to be different this time?
  3. I feel ya, Paul. That feeling is understandable but what can SUMO really do when they have a low budget for development? The rest of the budget is spread out across a lot of products aka experiments (which you know they're going to sunset at some point) & not enough manpower/experienced coders to help tackle all the bugs/complaints we have.

I think the survey is focused on just more than technical issues with the site like demographics, morale, ease of communication with Mozilla staff, contributor engagement, which products contributors like to support and so on. Which is good to know. But I do wonder if the results can help SUMO get more resources (like more devs). Wishful thinking on my part. ;)

I'm curious though, what's your Top 5 Gripes? Mine:

• Missing persistent form history that’s remembered if you accidentally leave or refresh a SUMO page with a text reply box so you don’t lose a long forum answer or private message you’ve been working on. And maybe while editing KB articles too.
    • High number of spammers/bots registering & attacking the site (I strongly believe Firefox Accounts is to blame for this. Shortly after we switched to this login system, our spammer/bot account signups exploded & haven't slowed down since)
    • Negating some of the ways spam is created so we never have to deal with it in the 1st place
    • Slightly better moderation tools
    • Slightly better forum search results (I have a idea that should improve this but not fully solve it)

Three bonus ones:

• Fixing a few of our most annoying issues in the order from least complex to most complex
    • Reducing the number of AI bots that post here (not much we can do about this anyway)
    • And I'm sure I've forgotten something but that's how life goes :)

My gripes are focused on data loss, moderation, spam blocking (including limiting account creation & preemptively blocking spammers from even creating an account in the 1st place) & fixing low hanging fruit that messes up our productivity or causes us to do more work.

I recently started poking around on our Github issues & saw some interesting bugs I'd like to see fixed but the devs most likely have to deal with a lot of maintenance issues on a daily basis + a backlog of prioritized bugs. Gonna try to watch some of the Scrum meeting vids to see if I can get a handle on what it's like for our devs. Would love to see a tracker they use to see what they're currently working on/have prioritized.

If the SUMO devs are reading this, thanks for all the work you've done that no one notices or pays much attention to!

I feel ya, Paul. That feeling is understandable but what can SUMO really do when they have a low budget for development? The rest of the budget is spread out across a lot of products aka experiments (which you know they're going to sunset at some point) & not enough manpower/experienced coders to help tackle all the bugs/complaints we have. I think the survey is focused on just more than technical issues with the site like demographics, morale, ease of communication with Mozilla staff, contributor engagement, which products contributors like to support and so on. Which is good to know. But I do wonder if the results can help SUMO get more resources (like more devs). Wishful thinking on my part. ;) I'm curious though, what's your Top 5 Gripes? Mine: * Missing persistent form history that’s remembered if you accidentally leave or refresh a SUMO page with a text reply box so you don’t lose a long forum answer or private message you’ve been working on. And maybe while editing KB articles too. * High number of spammers/bots registering & attacking the site (I strongly believe Firefox Accounts is to blame for this. Shortly after we switched to this login system, our spammer/bot account signups exploded & haven't slowed down since) * Negating some of the ways spam is created so we never have to deal with it in the 1st place * Slightly better moderation tools * Slightly better forum search results (I have a idea that should improve this but not fully solve it) '''Three bonus ones:''' * Fixing a few of our most annoying issues in the order from least complex to most complex * Reducing the number of AI bots that post here (not much we can do about this anyway) * And I'm sure I've forgotten something but that's how life goes :) My gripes are focused on data loss, moderation, spam blocking (including limiting account creation & preemptively blocking spammers from even creating an account in the 1st place) & fixing low hanging fruit that messes up our productivity or causes us to do more work. I recently started poking around on our Github issues & saw some interesting bugs I'd like to see fixed but the devs most likely have to deal with a lot of maintenance issues on a daily basis + a backlog of prioritized bugs. Gonna try to watch some of the Scrum meeting vids to see if I can get a handle on what it's like for our devs. Would love to see a tracker they use to see what they're currently working on/have prioritized. If the SUMO devs are reading this, thanks for all the work you've done that no one notices or pays much attention to!
  4. I would not really call them gripes, but yes, the ongoing spam problem for the past 4-5 years is getting a bit much. There seems to have been a lot of (very valuable) infrastructure work, but nothing in the way of moving forward bugs that would help contributors - in that I think our lists would be very similar.

There is always talk of doing things, but nothing ever really appears. Just would be nice to know that (for example) one "thing" (a bug or a feature) a month to improve contributor tooling would be delivered.

As an example, this is something my eyes would really appreciate from the 2022 survey - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1761983. Even just getting some kind of exemption to be able to use add-ons (without flipping a pref) would be a great step forwards.

I would not really call them gripes, but yes, the ongoing spam problem for the past 4-5 years is getting a bit much. There seems to have been a lot of (very valuable) infrastructure work, but nothing in the way of moving forward bugs that would help contributors - in that I think our lists would be very similar. There is always talk of doing things, but nothing ever really appears. Just would be nice to know that (for example) one "thing" (a bug or a feature) a month to improve contributor tooling would be delivered. As an example, this is something my eyes would really appreciate from the 2022 survey - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1761983. Even just getting some kind of exemption to be able to use add-ons (without flipping a pref) would be a great step forwards.
  5. Paul said

Hi Kiki In the past few years when we have completed these surveys nothing really happens and the same problems remain. What is going to be different this time?

Hey Paul,

I've replied this question in the last community call this month. But to iterate on my response, some changes require longer-term planning (e.g. changes pertaining to the content editor, spam prevention) and dependent on other requirement that is out of our control (e.g. the dark mode is blocked by the Mozilla Design System which lacking of support for dark mode). In those cases, we may not be able to make improvement quickly.

That being said, it's still important to hear from you and the wider community and to collect feedback about your contribution experience. We do this annually so that we can make comparison and can track changes overtime.

NoahSUMO said

My gripes are focused on data loss, moderation, spam blocking (including limiting account creation & preemptively blocking spammers from even creating an account in the 1st place) & fixing low hanging fruit that messes up our productivity or causes us to do more work. ... If the SUMO devs are reading this, thanks for all the work you've done that no one notices or pays much attention to!

Thanks for sharing your top gripes, Noah! I feel ya on the pain of the data loss issue. I'm curious, though, do you still experience the same issue lately? I feel like it happens less often, now. Curious to hear your experience.

I'll be sure to forward your words to the devs.

''Paul [[#post-87187|said]]'' <blockquote> Hi Kiki In the past few years when we have completed these surveys nothing really happens and the same problems remain. What is going to be different this time? </blockquote> Hey Paul, I've replied this question in the last community call this month. But to iterate on my response, some changes require longer-term planning (e.g. changes pertaining to the content editor, spam prevention) and dependent on other requirement that is out of our control (e.g. the dark mode is blocked by the Mozilla Design System which lacking of support for dark mode). In those cases, we may not be able to make improvement quickly. That being said, it's still important to hear from you and the wider community and to collect feedback about your contribution experience. We do this annually so that we can make comparison and can track changes overtime. ''NoahSUMO [[#post-87191|said]]'' <blockquote> My gripes are focused on data loss, moderation, spam blocking (including limiting account creation & preemptively blocking spammers from even creating an account in the 1st place) & fixing low hanging fruit that messes up our productivity or causes us to do more work. ... If the SUMO devs are reading this, thanks for all the work you've done that no one notices or pays much attention to! </blockquote> Thanks for sharing your top gripes, Noah! I feel ya on the pain of the data loss issue. I'm curious, though, do you still experience the same issue lately? I feel like it happens less often, now. Curious to hear your experience. I'll be sure to forward your words to the devs.
  6. Hey folks,

We decided to extend the deadline for the community survey this year. If you haven't filled out the survey, please do so before April 1, 2024. And please share it with your fellow contributors locally. We really want to hear from you all.

Hey folks, We decided to extend the deadline for the community survey this year. '''If you haven't filled out the survey, please do so before April 1, 2024.''' And please share it with your fellow contributors locally. We really want to hear from you all.
  7. Hello everyone, (stepping in for Kiki who is on PTO). Thanks to everyone that replied to this survey. We will review your answers and present the findings in our May community meeting.

Cheers!

Hello everyone, (stepping in for Kiki who is on PTO). Thanks to everyone that replied to this survey. We will review your answers and present the findings in our May community meeting. Cheers!