SUMO community discussions

[Your input needed] Quality training for forum contributors

1. Hi everybody,

Rachel and I have starting putting together a few ideas for creating a quality training for forum contributors. The scope of this project is to create a training process that new contributors go through before starting to post in the forums but also something that older contributors can refer to when they need to refresh their knowledge. You can check the etherpad for this project here: https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training-communitytopics

With this we are hoping to minimize the instances when new contributors provide incorrect answers or misuse the platform. We also hope to increase the overall quality of our replies (from both a technical and customer service point of view).

That being said we need your help to start mapping out the content for this. What are the things you think a new contributor should learn before starting to post on the forums? What information would be useful? Also, what are the things that would be useful to you personally?

Hi everybody, Rachel and I have starting putting together a few ideas for creating a quality training for forum contributors. The scope of this project is to create a training process that new contributors go through before starting to post in the forums but also something that older contributors can refer to when they need to refresh their knowledge. You can check the etherpad for this project here: [https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training-communitytopics] With this we are hoping to minimize the instances when new contributors provide incorrect answers or misuse the platform. We also hope to increase the overall quality of our replies (from both a technical and customer service point of view). That being said we need your help to start mapping out the content for this. What are the things you think a new contributor should learn before starting to post on the forums? What information would be useful? Also, what are the things that would be useful to you personally?

Modified by guigs on

2. And ideas on how to make this fun is good too. Some online trainings that have videos and quizzes could be fun, but anything goes here. The outline for the training will be finalized in three weeks.

Around the goals to increase the helpfulness of answers, this was an idea to make that fun. What this looks like is a combination of what already exists in the forum and tips and trick from some from everybody here.

And ideas on how to make this fun is good too. Some online trainings that have videos and quizzes could be fun, but anything goes here. The outline for the training will be finalized in three weeks. Around the goals to increase the helpfulness of answers, this was an idea to make that fun. What this looks like is a combination of what already exists in the forum and tips and trick from some from everybody here.
  3. Sounds rather similar to the stalled Buddies program.

Your etherpad mentions under discussion

but that apparently requires a login.

Sounds rather similar to the stalled Buddies program. Your etherpad mentions under discussion *Outline for some initial quality training and some basic product knowledge: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/document/d/1DKw1npLHg9o1WzrA2Nzy_F1iD8SVmNw7sw0eWLgquXo/edit but that apparently requires a login.
  4. Hmm.. Will this mean that new contributors will have to go through training before they're allowed to post on the support forum? Will they be restricted to a limit?

Videos are a great way, to guide and teach contributors. Will there be audio?

What kind of training are we talking about here? How to use the forums? Knowledge of Mozilla Products?

Customer service guidelines - what does this mean in a forum? -This is something I really strive for, but it can't be completed easily. There is no way to easily greet the user, provide quality service, and answer appropriately. Sometimes, it's possible another contributor may get to the thread, post the same exact or similar reply like us. The only difference, may be the greeting/ a little extra bit on info added to the reply/ posting to the user. In whichever case, the 2nd "duplicate" poster will obviously edit out their response.

Hmm.. Will this mean that new contributors will have to go through training before they're allowed to post on the support forum? Will they be restricted to a limit? Videos are a great way, to guide and teach contributors. Will there be audio? What kind of training are we talking about here? How to use the forums? Knowledge of Mozilla Products? ''Customer service guidelines - what does this mean in a forum?'' -This is something I really strive for, but it can't be completed easily. There is no way to easily greet the user, provide quality service, and answer appropriately. Sometimes, it's possible another contributor may get to the thread, post the same exact or similar reply like us. The only difference, may be the greeting/ a little extra bit on info added to the reply/ posting to the user. In whichever case, the 2nd "duplicate" poster will obviously edit out their response.
  5. Andrew said

Hmm.. Will this mean that new contributors will have to go through training before they're allowed to post on the support forum? Will they be restricted to a limit?

They do not "have to", the idea would be earn some badges by reading/watching/trying this.

Andrew said

Videos are a great way, to guide and teach contributors. Will there be audio? What kind of training are we talking about here? How to use the forums? Knowledge of Mozilla Products?

I would have to ask about video links, how has this been done in the past? I have seen youtube videos posted, are special permissions needed for this.? Also the training would be a cross between "How to be a quality contributor" and "Product basics", pretty much the same as you asked :-)

John==666== said

Sounds rather similar to the stalled Buddies program. Your etherpad mentions under discussion but that apparently requires a login.

Changed that, originally the etherpad was: https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training-communitytopics but now there are both. I changed the doc to "Public on the web", unfortunately with docs you need a gmail account. The condensed topic idea is in that second etherpad above for non gmail users as well. John99, I can change it to etherpad as well?

''Andrew [[#post-60790|said]]'' <blockquote> Hmm.. Will this mean that new contributors will have to go through training before they're allowed to post on the support forum? Will they be restricted to a limit? </blockquote> They do not "have to", the idea would be earn some badges by reading/watching/trying this. ''Andrew [[#post-60790|said]]'' <blockquote> Videos are a great way, to guide and teach contributors. Will there be audio? What kind of training are we talking about here? How to use the forums? Knowledge of Mozilla Products? </blockquote> I would have to ask about video links, how has this been done in the past? I have seen youtube videos posted, are special permissions needed for this.? Also the training would be a cross between "How to be a quality contributor" and "Product basics", pretty much the same as you asked :-) ''John==666== [[#post-60787|said]]'' <blockquote> Sounds rather similar to the stalled Buddies program. Your etherpad mentions under discussion *Outline for some initial quality training and some basic product knowledge: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/document/d/1DKw1npLHg9o1WzrA2Nzy_F1iD8SVmNw7sw0eWLgquXo/edit but that apparently requires a login. </blockquote> Changed that, originally the etherpad was: [https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training-communitytopics] but now there are both. I changed the doc to "Public on the web", unfortunately with docs you need a gmail account. The condensed topic idea is in that second etherpad above for non gmail users as well. John99, I can change it to etherpad as well?

Modified by guigs on

6. On Product-specific training and basic product knowledge:

The etherpad at https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training lists, under Goals:

• Ideal: interactive online training format (depending on time, if not just a simple doc)

A "simple doc" might include the existing "How to contribute" guide, Answering questions on the Support forum and, for Desktop Firefox, the existing Firefox Support troubleshooting guide.

How about suggesting that the top contributors for the other Mozilla products come up with their own "Support Troubleshooting guide"? Moses posted here in the KB forum to see if some Thunderbird "gurus" would be interested but there was no response (maybe the Thunderbird experts don't browse the KB forum?).

'''On Product-specific training and basic product knowledge:''' The etherpad at https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training lists, under Goals: * Ideal: interactive online training format (depending on time, if not just a simple doc) A "simple doc" might include the existing "How to contribute" guide, [[Answering questions on the Support forum]] and, for Desktop Firefox, the existing [[Firefox Support troubleshooting guide]]. How about suggesting that the top contributors for the other Mozilla products come up with their own "Support Troubleshooting guide"? Moses posted [/forums/knowledge-base-articles/710356 here in the KB forum] to see if some Thunderbird "gurus" would be interested but there was no response (maybe the Thunderbird experts don't browse the KB forum?).
  7. Its awesome idea.

• The training combines all the Mozilla products or only products related to Firefox( Desktop, Mobile and OS)
    • Training must be separate for each product.
    • QUIZ will be fun and easy way to learn.
      • Taking a question from Forum and asking for the issues related to ?
    Its awesome idea. *The training combines all the Mozilla products or only products related to Firefox( Desktop, Mobile and OS) *Training must be separate for each product. *QUIZ will be fun and easy way to learn. **Taking a question from Forum and asking for the issues related to ?
  8. +1 I love the idea

+1 I love the idea
  9. +1 for Madasan,andrew,guigs2,john99 and imjayakumars .Its really big help to get know well about support forum and its way of answering questions.However the answer is correct (~70%) is not assured from a newbie .

+1 for Madasan,andrew,guigs2,john99 and imjayakumars .Its really big help to get know well about support forum and its way of answering questions.However the answer is correct (~70%) is not assured from a newbie .
  10. Great Idea by the way.

Training us contributors is a good idea, as would be

• Trying to document things not covered in the KB (& or list and link to MDN articles )
    • and sort out a proper functional advanced search).

I have said this all before but to me it makes far more sense to have HelpDesk dealing with training, and with escalated questions than it is using HelpDesk to provide an initial reply to the 5% otherwise unanswered questions. (Anyone worked out the metrics ? How many of those questions where HelpDesk is involved actually do get solved ? {I imagine it is over 30% but well under 100%} )

Answering escalated questions and training contributors to solve them has way more impact because it multiplies the contributor effectiveness as opposed to having HelpDesk act as a single additional contributor.

• Teaches contributors to solve more questions
    • Directly solves questions that would otherwise remain unsolved
    • Addresses a goal of much higher importance: reducing the 70% unsolved questions by solving some of them.

I am presuming this will either replace or incorporate and augument the buddies program.

Great Idea by the way. '''Training us contributors is a good idea,''' as would be *Trying to document things not covered in the KB (& or list and link to MDN articles ) *and sort out a proper functional advanced search). I have said this all before but to me it makes far more sense to have HelpDesk dealing with training, and with escalated questions than it is using HelpDesk to provide an initial reply to the 5% otherwise unanswered questions. (Anyone worked out the metrics ? How many of those questions where HelpDesk is involved actually do get solved ? {I imagine it is over 30% but well under 100%} ) '''Answering escalated questions and training contributors''' to solve them has way more impact because it multiplies the contributor effectiveness as opposed to having HelpDesk act as a single additional contributor. * Teaches contributors to solve more questions * Directly solves questions that would otherwise remain unsolved * Addresses a goal of much higher importance: reducing the 70% unsolved questions by solving some of them. I am presuming this will either replace or incorporate and augument the buddies program.
  11. Most contributors start answering questions because they feel they have knowledge that will help users, and learn more when viewing answers by other contributors. I'm generally not concerned about training contributors to further their chances of having the right answers.

I think we have a much bigger problem with forum contributors having the people skills to deal with disgruntled users. If we're going to have contributor training, I'd like to see training on how not to get into arguments with users.

Most contributors start answering questions because they feel they have knowledge that will help users, and learn more when viewing answers by other contributors. I'm generally not concerned about training contributors to further their chances of having the right answers. I think we have a much bigger problem with forum contributors having the people skills to deal with disgruntled users. If we're going to have contributor training, I'd like to see training on how not to get into arguments with users.
  12. A section on making an angry person appreciate your help would be useful for many situations, not just the forum!

A section on making an angry person appreciate your help would be useful for many situations, not just the forum!
  13. Agreed jscher2000, Chris Ilias, how to deal with an angry user should be covered in this training as well.

I think the general idea is that we do a better job at keeping new contributors engaged when they join us, so that they can feel successful, have an impact and keep contributing.

Agreed jscher2000, Chris Ilias, how to deal with an angry user should be covered in this training as well. I think the general idea is that we do a better job at keeping new contributors engaged when they join us, so that they can feel successful, have an impact and keep contributing.
  14. would be good to give the users accessibility training also in case they find a issue on the forums what related to ally support

would be good to give the users accessibility training also in case they find a issue on the forums what related to ally support
  15. Most of the time, user gets angry because they think we are Mozilla Paid Staff and not providing the correct solution for their problem.

To avoid, that, we better add a line at end of every post " we are contributors, not paid staff" (or) We can add Volunteer/Contributor under the Username, like moderator and Administrator.

If, we are choosing Second one, how can we differentiate the Question and Contributor. If Questionnaire SignUp, then He/She automatically shows as Volunteer/Contributor.

Most of the time, user gets angry because they think we are '''Mozilla Paid Staff''' and not providing the correct solution for their problem. To avoid, that, we better add a line at end of every post " we are contributors, not paid staff" (or) We can add Volunteer/Contributor under the Username, like moderator and Administrator. If, we are choosing Second one, how can we differentiate the Question and Contributor. If Questionnaire SignUp, then He/She automatically shows as Volunteer/Contributor.

Modified by iamjayakumars on

16. Hi Jay, I think users are angry for a wide range of reasons, some of which have something to do with Firefox itself. But obscenity-laced tirades can arise from any number of situations:

• Data loss, for example: couldn't submit a form, going back erased a form, crash erased data. I have a lot of sympathy for these users, and usually they didn't do anything wrong. I might suggest adopting an add-on like Lazarus Form Recovery for the future, or if they accidentally closed a tab, tell them how to re-open closed tabs. But I think we just have to absorb it and be sober in this case.
    • Removed feature, for example: Firefox 26 finally took away the old download manager dialog that was deprecated in Firefox 20, causing some nice extensions to stop working. In this situation, again, the user didn't do anything wrong. They might be confused about the add-on ecosystem (i.e., "Firefox should make sure every extension will keep working before doing an update"), but a positive response might be to explain similar native features, suggest contacting the extension author about updates (I usually check the Versions page for the extension in case it's already there), suggest searching for other add-ons, or sympathize.
    • Crashes, because they submit a lot of reports and Mozilla never emails them back. In part, this needs to be fixed on the back end of crash reporting so people are not expecting a personal email. Our job is troubleshoot the crash as best we can.
    • Regression or newly issued bug, for example: glitch with Find Bar in Firefox 30 on Mac making it impossible to paste from the system keyboard into Firefox after using Find (what is pasted is the text in the find bar). It can take a long time to confirm that it's a real bug, which obviously is frustrating to users. A real regression usually generates multiple threads, so you typically can find one where the user is willing to try Safe Mode or a new profile and help with troubleshooting. You then can update the other angry users about the progress there. You may or may not want to file a bug (I don't file bugs except when I can experience them myself) but you can suggest to the user to file one and let you know the bug number so you can vote for it and get emails about progress working on it. Anyway, you just have to keep your head down and be very focused on the task despite all the other noise.
    • Malware, for example: bad extensions. We generally can help the user clean this up with one or two replies, but some still gripe that Firefox shouldn't allow malware to happen. What can I say?
    • Insufficient privacy, for example: default cookie settings or missing privacy features. The features are easy to explain. The troubling questions involve conspiracy theories about sharing data with Google or Yahoo or the NSA, etc. Here I suggest the real audience is everyone else reading the thread. The person wearing the tin foil hat posed the question, and the imagined explanation, but rather than get bogged down in debating their theory, which I admit is very tempting, we're looking for a response that addresses the concerns of other readers that might have led them to the thread.
    • User interface changes, for example: Australis. I've commented on this elsewhere.

I'm sure we all have other scenarios, but these might be enough illustrations for training purposes.

Hi Jay, I think users are angry for a wide range of reasons, some of which have something to do with Firefox itself. But obscenity-laced tirades can arise from any number of situations: * Data loss, for example: couldn't submit a form, going back erased a form, crash erased data. I have a lot of sympathy for these users, and usually they didn't do anything wrong. I might suggest adopting an add-on like Lazarus Form Recovery for the future, or if they accidentally closed a tab, tell them how to re-open closed tabs. But I think we just have to absorb it and be sober in this case. * Removed feature, for example: Firefox 26 finally took away the old download manager dialog that was deprecated in Firefox 20, causing some nice extensions to stop working. In this situation, again, the user didn't do anything wrong. They might be confused about the add-on ecosystem (i.e., "Firefox should make sure every extension will keep working before doing an update"), but a positive response might be to explain similar native features, suggest contacting the extension author about updates (I usually check the Versions page for the extension in case it's already there), suggest searching for other add-ons, or sympathize. * Crashes, because they submit a lot of reports and Mozilla never emails them back. In part, this needs to be fixed on the back end of crash reporting so people are not expecting a personal email. Our job is troubleshoot the crash as best we can. * Regression or newly issued bug, for example: glitch with Find Bar in Firefox 30 on Mac making it impossible to paste from the system keyboard into Firefox after using Find (what is pasted is the text in the find bar). It can take a long time to confirm that it's a real bug, which obviously is frustrating to users. A real regression usually generates multiple threads, so you typically can find one where the user is willing to try Safe Mode or a new profile and help with troubleshooting. You then can update the other angry users about the progress there. You may or may not want to file a bug (I don't file bugs except when I can experience them myself) but you can suggest to the user to file one and let you know the bug number so you can vote for it and get emails about progress working on it. Anyway, you just have to keep your head down and be very focused on the task despite all the other noise. * Malware, for example: bad extensions. We generally can help the user clean this up with one or two replies, but some still gripe that Firefox shouldn't allow malware to happen. What can I say? * Insufficient privacy, for example: default cookie settings or missing privacy features. The features are easy to explain. The troubling questions involve conspiracy theories about sharing data with Google or Yahoo or the NSA, etc. Here I suggest the real audience is everyone else reading the thread. The person wearing the tin foil hat posed the question, and the imagined explanation, but rather than get bogged down in debating their theory, which I admit is very tempting, we're looking for a response that addresses the concerns of other readers that might have led them to the thread. * User interface changes, for example: Australis. I've commented on this elsewhere. I'm sure we all have other scenarios, but these might be enough illustrations for training purposes.
  17. Ya, it happens always not only in Firefox. Its impossible to satisfy a user in all the ways.

I'm talking about the replies in the forum, your talking about general firefox issues.

Ya, it happens always not only in Firefox. Its impossible to satisfy a user in all the ways. I'm talking about the replies in the forum, your talking about general firefox issues.
  18. jscher2000 said

I'm sure we all have other scenarios, but these might be enough illustrations for training purposes.

Thank you jscher, these are great examples! I added these to the Training doc.

In regards to accessibility training I did ask around for kinds of training about this and there does not seem to be an official one? How to incorporate this? The training would be interactive and if you have some user story examples we should add this to the etherpad: https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training I have also added user stories to that list to get some leverage to different use cases.

''jscher2000 [[#post-60987|said]]'' <blockquote> I'm sure we all have other scenarios, but these might be enough illustrations for training purposes. </blockquote> Thank you jscher, these are great examples! I added these to the Training doc. In regards to accessibility training I did ask around for kinds of training about this and there does not seem to be an official one? How to incorporate this? The training would be interactive and if you have some user story examples we should add this to the etherpad: [https://sumo.etherpad.mozilla.org/contributor-training] I have also added user stories to that list to get some leverage to different use cases.
  19. With the forum improvement suggestions, it inspired to also open up the discussion to ideas for formats of this training.

With the forum improvement suggestions, it inspired to also open up the discussion to ideas for formats of this training.

Modified by guigs on

20. Last call for ideas on this topic, a final draft of the topics will be worked on next week. Sunday August 3 will be the last day for the first round of discussions.

Last call for ideas on this topic, a final draft of the topics will be worked on next week. Sunday August 3 will be the last day for the first round of discussions.
  1. 1
  2. 2