SUMO community discussions

Tomorrow, Feb 16th, is SUMO Day!

1. Hi all,

We'll have another SUMO Day tomorrow, Thursday Feb. 16th. Below is my blog post, hope to see you all there! Please blog about it or promote it in your channels.

A reminder to upgrade to Firefox 10.0.1 went out to all 3.6 users yesterday and we saw high forum traffic yesterday with nearly 250 questions asked and 80 unanswered, so we need all forum helpers who can commit to answering 10 or more questions tomorrow, and today actually.

If contributors in Asia and then Europe can start their day with a reminder about it in #sumo, that would be excellent!

http://blog.mozilla.com/sumo/2012/02/13/sumo-day-is-thursday-feb-16th/

Thanks,

Michelle

Hi all, We'll have another SUMO Day tomorrow, Thursday Feb. 16th. Below is my blog post, hope to see you all there! Please blog about it or promote it in your channels. A reminder to upgrade to Firefox 10.0.1 went out to all 3.6 users yesterday and we saw high forum traffic yesterday with nearly 250 questions asked and 80 unanswered, so we need all forum helpers who can commit to answering 10 or more questions tomorrow, and today actually. If contributors in Asia and then Europe can start their day with a reminder about it in #sumo, that would be excellent! http://blog.mozilla.com/sumo/2012/02/13/sumo-day-is-thursday-feb-16th/ Thanks, Michelle
  2. Happy SUMO day Michelle! I'm sure it will be our best SUMO day yet!

Happy SUMO day Michelle! I'm sure it will be our best SUMO day yet!
  3. Happy SUMO day everyone!

Happy SUMO day everyone!
  4. Looking good so far, questions are being answered as they come in, good look to the evening & night shifts.

P.S. we need to synchronise clocks/messages

(link) SUMO Questions Day: February 16th Event Posted by rbillings on February 15, 2012 at 10:30 am. This event has passed.
    Looking good so far, questions are being answered as they come in, good look to the evening & night shifts. ------- P.S. we need to synchronise clocks/messages <blockquote> [https://quality.mozilla.org/2012/02/sumo-questions-day-february-16th/ (link)] SUMO Questions Day: February 16th Event Posted by rbillings on February 15, 2012 at 10:30 am. '''This event has passed.''' <b/lockquote>

Modified by John99 on

5. Well done everyone !

Well done everyone !
  6. Hope everyone had a great SUMO day!

Hope everyone had a great SUMO day!
  7. Hi all,

Thanks for a very fun and exciting SUMO day, to my count, 96% of questions posted to the forum were answered yesterday! There were 171 new questions posted throughout the day. As I've said before, SUMO is _the_ best.

Let's just keep it going! SUMO Day = every day now.

Thanks, Michelle

Hi all, Thanks for a very fun and exciting SUMO day, to my count, 96% of questions posted to the forum were answered yesterday! There were 171 new questions posted throughout the day. As I've said before, SUMO is _the_ best. Let's just keep it going! SUMO Day = every day now. Thanks, Michelle
  8. mluna said

Hi all, Thanks for a very fun and exciting SUMO day, to my count, 96% of questions posted to the forum were answered yesterday! There were 171 new questions posted throughout the day. As I've said before, SUMO is _the_ best. Let's just keep it going! SUMO Day = every day now. Thanks, Michelle

Well, i will now start being on the part of forum with questions aswell. Also im staying active (as i think) here at contributors (if that's spelled right) forum and twitter.

''mluna [[#post-45343|said]]'' <blockquote> Hi all, Thanks for a very fun and exciting SUMO day, to my count, 96% of questions posted to the forum were answered yesterday! There were 171 new questions posted throughout the day. As I've said before, SUMO is _the_ best. Let's just keep it going! SUMO Day = every day now. Thanks, Michelle </blockquote> Well, i will now start being on the part of forum with questions aswell. Also im staying active (as i think) here at contributors (if that's spelled right) forum and twitter.
  9. mluna said

to my count, 96% of questions posted to the forum were answered yesterday!

Soooo close! I'm sure we'll hit 100% very soon. Great work everyone. Big round of applause for Michelle for putting these days together. As you said, every day is SUMO day now!

''mluna [[#post-45343|said]]'' <blockquote> to my count, 96% of questions posted to the forum were answered yesterday! </blockquote> Soooo close! I'm sure we'll hit 100% very soon. Great work everyone. Big round of applause for Michelle for putting these days together. As you said, every day is SUMO day now!
  10. I have the impression that the number of new forum threads has decreased during the last week(s), so that may have contributed to that very high answered rate of 96%.

I can remember that we had a few years back so many new posts (maybe over 1400 a day) that probably only 10% or 20% got answered during that time.

I have the impression that the number of new forum threads has decreased during the last week(s), so that may have contributed to that very high answered rate of 96%. I can remember that we had a few years back so many new posts (maybe over 1400 a day) that probably only 10% or 20% got answered during that time.
  11. Sumo Day additional task, because we will soon need to move on and improve on our target objective, merely 100% replies is not good enough !

We may be getting to the stage where contributors are queuing up to answer at some times of the day but all posts are being answered. What should happen then ?

• go away and come back later ? - no !
    • do something else directly useful to sumo day metrics:

Improve the previous Sumo Day answers
    My suggestion that a secondary supplemental task should be to review the questions from the previous sumo day, look for threads that had no helpful replies or had no solution and if possible post an answer in one of those threads. That should have the effect of making sumo days show a peak not only in numbers of threads answered (which can not exceed 100% anyway - something we can expect to achieve t next time) but also a peak in numbers of helpful and solved threads - even if that does not show up until a later date after additional post or additional replies.

1st Objective 100% replies, 2nd Objective 100% helpful, 3rd 100% solved.

(As I have said previously that may need an incomplete &/or invalid category, but for now as a workaround all we need do is have a mod mark it as solved with a comment about the missing info or reason it is invalid)

Obviously this needs Michelle's input, and others may have better ideas, but I consider me need something better than just saying make each day a sumo day, lets keep up the momentum for making an impact on sumo days.

'''Sumo Day additional task,''' because we will soon need to move on and improve on our target objective, merely 100% replies is not good enough ! We may be getting to the stage where contributors are queuing up to answer at some times of the day but all posts are being answered. What should happen then ? * go away and come back later ? - no ! * do something else directly useful to sumo day metrics: '''Improve the previous Sumo Day answers''' <br/> My suggestion that a secondary supplemental task should be to review the questions from the previous sumo day, look for threads that had no helpful replies or had no solution and if possible post an answer in one of those threads. That should have the effect of making sumo days show a peak not only in numbers of threads answered (which can not exceed 100% anyway - something we can expect to achieve t next time) but also a peak in numbers of helpful and solved threads - even if that does not show up until a later date after additional post or additional replies. 1st Objective 100% replies, 2nd Objective 100% helpful, 3rd 100% solved. (As I have said previously that may need an incomplete &/or invalid category, but for now as a workaround all we need do is have a mod mark it as solved with a comment about the missing info or reason it is invalid) Obviously this needs Michelle's input, and others may have better ideas, but I consider me need something better than just saying make each day a sumo day, lets keep up the momentum for making an impact on sumo days.

Modified by John99 on

12. I tottaly agree that every that should be SUMO day for every member that is helping on the forums. Also, we should be here always and always check the unsolved questions. It would be also nice to make a goal in this, we gotta help all users no metter what. Also, it would be great if more users try to help in one question, you'll never know you try to help and then don't know the solution, maybe someone else knows?

I hope everyone helping should have these goals:

• 100% replies
    • 99% solved
    • 99-100% helpful

Happy SUMO day, because every day is SUMO day :)

I tottaly agree that every that should be SUMO day for every member that is helping on the forums. Also, we should be here always and always check the unsolved questions. It would be also nice to make a goal in this, we gotta help all users no metter what. Also, it would be great if more users try to help in one question, you'll never know you try to help and then don't know the solution, maybe someone else knows? I hope everyone helping should have these goals: * 100% replies * 99% solved * 99-100% helpful '''Happy SUMO day, because every day is SUMO day :)'''
  13. Every day is sumoday ! - I disagree

It would be great to have that amount of effort & contributions every day, but the advantage of a special day is that we get the opportunity once every couple of weeks to demonstrate what will be achievable in the near future as performance increases.
    ( And possibly what will block those goals eg 100% solved is not achievable if some questions are incomplete, and we have no category to resolve incomplete questions - is that worthy of a bug that will be included in a sumo sprint ? )

As the number of helpers increases, and the other changes work through sumo day results should be achievable on a regular daily basis. Sumo Day should still be special. Not everyone is going to be on the forum on anything approaching a daily basis. What I am saying is if you do help on the forums at all, try to make sumo day one of the days you do help. Try not to miss Sumo Day.

Every day is sumoday ! - I disagree It would be great to have that amount of effort & contributions every day, but the advantage of a special day is that we get the opportunity once every couple of weeks to demonstrate what will be achievable in the near future as performance increases. <br/>( And possibly what will block those goals eg 100% solved is not achievable if some questions are incomplete, and we have no category to resolve incomplete questions - is that worthy of a bug that will be included in a sumo sprint ? ) As the number of helpers increases, and the other changes work through sumo day results should be achievable on a regular daily basis. '''Sumo Day should still be special.''' Not everyone is going to be on the forum on anything approaching a daily basis. What I am saying is if you do help on the forums at all, try to make sumo day one of the days you do help. Try not to miss Sumo Day.
  14. John99 said

Every day is sumoday ! - I disagree It would be great to have that amount of effort & contributions every day, but the advantage of a special day is that we get the opportunity once every couple of weeks to demonstrate what will be achievable in the near future as performance increases.
    ( And possibly what will block those goals eg 100% solved is not achievable if some questions are incomplete, and we have no category to resolve incomplete questions - is that worthy of a bug that will be included in a sumo sprint ? ) As the number of helpers increases, and the other changes work through sumo day results should be achievable on a regular daily basis. Sumo Day should still be special. Not everyone is going to be on the forum on anything approaching a daily basis. What I am saying is if you do help on the forums at all, try to make sumo day one of the days you do help. Try not to miss Sumo Day.

+1000, ....and we have no category to resolve incomplete questions... is this possible ?

thank you

''John99 [[#post-45355|said]]'' <blockquote> Every day is sumoday ! - I disagree It would be great to have that amount of effort & contributions every day, but the advantage of a special day is that we get the opportunity once every couple of weeks to demonstrate what will be achievable in the near future as performance increases. <br/>( And possibly what will block those goals eg 100% solved is not achievable if some questions are incomplete, and we have no category to resolve incomplete questions - is that worthy of a bug that will be included in a sumo sprint ? ) As the number of helpers increases, and the other changes work through sumo day results should be achievable on a regular daily basis. '''Sumo Day should still be special.''' Not everyone is going to be on the forum on anything approaching a daily basis. What I am saying is if you do help on the forums at all, try to make sumo day one of the days you do help. Try not to miss Sumo Day. </blockquote> +1000, ....and we have no category to resolve incomplete questions... is this possible ? thank you
  15. Tagging with assistance required

This is something probably suited to its own thread, however readers of this thread will probably empathise, and have ideas so it seems an ideal place to make a tentative initial suggestion.

What happens when a thread is dropped by the helper ?
    Ok other helpers or mods may pick up the continuing problem and try to provide an answer, but would some specific handoff system be better ? My initial idea, seeing as it appears we are going to allow users to tag posts is have a tag that can be applied and removed saying assistance needed, or some suitable wording.

I am thinking of threads that are unresolved because the helper can not provide the answer. Examples I have got stuck on Today

• /questions/919776#answer-312342
      • my answer may work, someone may pick it up, I could post in the contributors forum, and I have done now, so it will get follow up [and this is not a good example as it had no helpful votes, but had it already been given helpful voted it would stand a good chance of being overlooked]
    • /questions/919838#answer-312316
      • this is a much better example, I could even suggest to the OP that the solved be unmarked, but there has to be a better response than my suggestion to wait see about the bug reports.

Another alternative suggestion, would be starting a thread say every week, every month or whatever, in the conttributors forum (or even a new sub forum) for helpers to post in when further advice is needed. It may be easier for other contributors or mods to find such problem threads than just reviewing the posts on the forum .

IRC or PMs could be used, but both of the methods I propose keeps everything open and public where everyone can learn from it.

'''Tagging ''' with <u>'''''assistance required'''''</u> This is something probably suited to its own thread, however readers of this thread will probably empathise, and have ideas so it seems an ideal place to make a tentative initial suggestion. '''What happens when a thread is dropped by the helper ?''' <br/>Ok other helpers or mods may pick up the continuing problem and try to provide an answer, but would some specific handoff system be better ? My initial idea, seeing as it appears we are going to allow users to tag posts is have a tag that can be applied and removed saying assistance needed, or some suitable wording. I am thinking of threads that are unresolved because the helper can not provide the answer. Examples I have got stuck on Today * [/questions/919776#answer-312342] ** my answer may work, someone may pick it up, I could post in the contributors forum, and I have done now, so it will get follow up [and this is not a good example as it had no helpful votes, but had it already been given helpful voted it would stand a good chance of being overlooked] * [/questions/919838#answer-312316] ** this is a much better example, I could even suggest to the OP that the solved be unmarked, but there has to be a better response than my suggestion to wait see about the bug reports. Another alternative suggestion, would be starting a thread say every week, every month or whatever, in the conttributors forum (or even a new sub forum) for helpers to post in when further advice is needed. It may be easier for other contributors or mods to find such problem threads than just reviewing the posts on the forum . IRC or PMs could be used, but both of the methods I propose keeps everything open and public where everyone can learn from it.
  16. The thing about keeping everything in the open is that it's not always the best way for people to learn. Being able to discuss something realtime can make it a lot easier to learn. The important thing is to make sure the core of the content gets posted. It's a lot easier to learn from something that goes like "hey, john and I were discussing this on IRC and we figured out the problem is x. If you do y and z then it should be fine," than from seeing a whole thread of back and forth.

The thing about keeping ''everything'' in the open is that it's not always the best way for people to learn. Being able to discuss something realtime can make it a lot easier to learn. The important thing is to make sure the core of the content gets posted. It's a lot easier to learn from something that goes like "hey, john and I were discussing this on IRC and we figured out the problem is x. If you do y and z then it should be fine," than from seeing a whole thread of back and forth.
  17. John99 said

Another alternative suggestion, would be starting a thread say every week, every month or whatever, in the conttributors forum (or even a new sub forum) for helpers to post in when further advice is needed. It may be easier for other contributors or mods to find such problem threads than just reviewing the posts on the forum .

Didn't Chris Ilias (or another admin) do something along those lines awhile back? I think he posted it as a "brain twister" thread, with links to support questions that were really difficult. We could have fun with it, to see which contributor comes up with a solution first :-)

P.S. I tried to find the "brain twister" thread with an "Advanced Search" of the contributors forum but came up empty. Anyone remember it?

''John99 [[#post-45372|said]]'' <blockquote> Another alternative suggestion, would be starting a thread say every week, every month or whatever, in the conttributors forum (or even a new sub forum) for helpers to post in when further advice is needed. It may be easier for other contributors or mods to find such problem threads than just reviewing the posts on the forum . </blockquote> Didn't Chris Ilias (or another admin) do something along those lines awhile back? I think he posted it as a "brain twister" thread, with links to support questions that were really difficult. We could have fun with it, to see which contributor comes up with a solution first :-) P.S. I tried to find the "brain twister" thread with an "Advanced Search" of the contributors forum but came up empty. Anyone remember it?

Modified by AliceWyman on