SUMO community discussions

Suggestion: Downloading to multiple Pre-selected location

1. Hello, This is a suggestion. Whenever I download any files, automatically they get stored in the "downloads" folder (I know there is an option where can of choose the location to store!), however, I was thinking maybe if u guys could develop something wherein I can define certain fixed location where files of similar can get stored. For e.g. say I've got multiple projects going on, now whenever I download excel files related to Project A, the dialog box should give me pre-defined location options (Project A/Project B/etc..) and all I need to do is click on Project A and it will get stored there. Now the idea behind this is convenience, because, given that most of us have complex folder locations, such pre-defined locations will save us a lot of time of choosing individual complex locations! Thanks :)

Hello, This is a suggestion. Whenever I download any files, automatically they get stored in the "downloads" folder (I know there is an option where can of choose the location to store!), however, I was thinking maybe if u guys could develop something wherein I can define certain fixed location where files of similar can get stored. For e.g. say I've got multiple projects going on, now whenever I download excel files related to Project A, the dialog box should give me pre-defined location options (Project A/Project B/etc..) and all I need to do is click on Project A and it will get stored there. Now the idea behind this is convenience, because, given that most of us have complex folder locations, such pre-defined locations will save us a lot of time of choosing individual complex locations! Thanks :)
  2. There were some changes made, but I am not sure it all worked out as intended, see also /forums/contributors/707742 however there is now a preference that you may use, that appears to change Firefox's behaviour to what you desire give more flexibility.

NOTE
    You may now use a preference browser.download.lastDir.savePerSite that you may need to create:

• open up the prefs using about:config <-- type it into the location bar
      accept any warning about dragons or the warranty !
      Use the filter to find the related preference, IF it exists.
    • initially you may need to create the preference so whilst in about config
      right click, select new->boolean and paste in the name as above.
      -> Enter new boolean value: Set to true if you wish to use it.

(When I create the pref it shows up, and while set to true is in bold as user defined, but it is not showing in about:support that possibly is a bug, not sure if one has been filed, & whether it is a known issue)

There were some changes made, but I am not sure it all worked out as intended, see also [/forums/contributors/707742] however there is now a preference that you may use, that appears to change Firefox's behaviour to <s>what you desire</s> give more flexibility. NOTE <br> You may now use a preference '''''browser.download.lastDir.savePerSite''''' that you may need to create: * open up the prefs using ''about:config'' <-- type it into the location bar <br> accept any warning about dragons or the warranty ! <br/>Use the filter to find the related preference, IF it exists. * initially you may need to create the preference so whilst in about config <br/>right click, select new->boolean and paste in the name as above. <br/>-> Enter new boolean value: Set to '''true''' if you wish to use it. (When I create the pref it shows up, and while set to true is in bold as user defined, but it is not showing in ''about:support'' that possibly is a bug, not sure if one has been filed, & whether it is a known issue)

Modified by John99 on

3. Thanks for the suggestion! This is something I could see myself using these days since I am doing a couple online courses.

The best thing to do though is make an add-on that does this (maybe one exists, or there's one close?) There is a place at Mozilla Labs to discuss ideas http://mozillalabs.com/get-involved/ but of course the best way to get it done is if you have the skills to do it yourself, or are willing to learn.

Thanks for the suggestion! This is something I could see myself using these days since I am doing a couple online courses. The best thing to do though is make an add-on that does this (maybe one exists, or there's one close?) There is a place at Mozilla Labs to discuss ideas http://mozillalabs.com/get-involved/ but of course the best way to get it done is if you have the skills to do it yourself, or are willing to learn.
  4. OOPS!

I did not look too closely at the bug report, I noticed it said resolved but it is target milestone Firefox 11.

OOPS! I did not look too closely at the bug report, I noticed it said resolved but it is target milestone Firefox 11.
  5. more options

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=702748#c12

Not by default, users will need to add it.

I am not seeing that pref i 11.0, 12.0, or 13.0 - I had to add it manually. The pref was saved, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=702748#c12 '''Not by default, users will need to add it.''' I am not seeing that pref i 11.0, 12.0, or 13.0 - I had to add it manually. The pref was saved, but I haven't had the chance to test it yet.

Modified by the-edmeister on