Get Unable to Connect message when trying to get to gmail
Any attempt to get to gmail (from google search click on gmail, gmail or gmail.com in url, etc.) results in Unable to Connect -- Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at mail.google.com. This happens only in Firefox running on Server 2008.
I have been googling problem and have cleared cookies, and re-installed. Still have this problem.
I can get into gmail from IE no problem and from Firefox that is running on XP. It is just my machines that are running on Server 2008. This problem just appeared around November 21st.
Thanks for any help!
Επιπρόσθετες λεπτομέρειες συστήματος
- Πλατφόρμα χρήστη: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.57 Safari/537.36
Thank you for contacting support. Connection will depend on the server environment and will depend on the version of Firefox that is installed on the 2008 server.
To get a better idea of what could be causing the issue, if you do not mind sharing:
- What version of the OS are you using? 64bit or 32bit?
- What version of Firefox is installed on the environment?
- To check if the firewall is blocking Firefox Configure Windows Firewall to allow Firefox access to the Internet and these are the troubleshooting steps [Server Not Found - Troubleshoot connection problems]]
- If it is not the firewall start :https://support.mozilla.org/kb/server-not-found-connection-problem#...
- Another similar issue that I saw also references launching Firefox in safe mode:
Τροποποιήθηκε στις από το χρήστη guigs
To see whether it is likely to be a settings issue, try this two-minute experiment:
Create a new Firefox profile
Background: A new profile will have your system-installed plugins (e.g., Flash) and extensions (e.g., security suite toolbars), but no themes, other extensions, or other customizations. It also should have completely fresh settings databases and a fresh cache folder. This test is to answer the question "what if" you wiped your Firefox personal data — without actually affecting your current settings.
(1) Exit Firefox and start up in the Profile Manager using Start > search box (or Run):
Any time you want to switch profiles, exit Firefox and return to this dialog.
(2) Click the Create Profile button. I recommend using the default location suggested, and to avoid data loss, not re-using any existing folder. Then start Firefox in the new profile you created.
Can you connect to Gmail in the new profile?
Note: When returning to the Profile Manager, you might be tempted to use the Delete Profile button. But... it's a bit too easy to accidentally delete your "real" profile, so I recommend resisting the temptation. If you do want to clean up later, I suggest making a backup of all your profiles first in case something were to go wrong.
Thank you jscher2000 for your response. I tried that and got the same results. Same error message as before :(
Hi momodavis, hopefully something in the earlier reply will be helpful or at least flag up the issue.
Which exact version of Firefox is having the problem? If you are using an ESR release, please include the full version number.
Thank you for your response. We are running 64 bit. Firefox version is 25.0.1. I have un-installed and re-installed and cleared cache and cookies several times. Weird how I can get to all sites except gmail and how it was working fine for the past several years until end of November..... We have been using I/E as a workaround and I guess we will have to continue to do that. Thanks.
Do you use ISA or another proxy? Does Firefox behave at all differently if you bypass your IE connection settings? That would mean:
orange Firefox button (or Tools menu) > Options > Advanced > Network mini-tab > "Settings" button
Default is "Use system proxy settings" (IE settings); try also "No proxy".
jscher2000 -- I don't know what and ISA proxy is. I would have to ask someone else if they know. I tried changing the setting from 'use system proxy settings' to 'no proxy' and it did the same thing. I logged out and in again and the same result.
It is odd that I can get to other sites, but not gmail.....