The Google search box always sends me to google.gr not .com
I have the Google search box function in the top bar next to the web address window. When I type a search word or term I am taken to google.gr (becasue I am in Greece). However, I want google.com but even if I type www.google.com in the address window I am sent to .gr Is this a Firefox problem (new to me) or a google one? I can log into my google account at .gr but as it's in Greek I can't find a way to make changes there. It only started happening this morning and I've had Firefox for a while now. Odd. I am on an old version of Firefox, and this problem stared when I tried to install 12. I didn't like 12 as it's not compatible with the plugins I like, so I went back to 3.6.17 which works perfectly apart from this problem.
Additional System Details
- Default Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- RealPlayer(tm) LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
- RealJukebox Netscape Plugin
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.3
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_31 for Mozilla browsers
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- RealPlayer(tm) HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
- RealNetworks(tm) RealPlayer Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20110420 BTRS31753 Firefox/3.6.17
You use an insecure version of Firefox with dozens of known vulnerabilities that allow some malicious websites or extensions to do bad things on your computer. Please update to Firefox 12 and update also your plugins.
If you meant incompatible extensions, which extensions are not compatible with Firefox 12 so that I give you alternative solutions?
Concerning the google.com redirect, I think Google uses your IP address to redirect to its website from your country (advertisers don't want to pay a banner if they don't sell something in the country), whatever your preferred language settings.
Thanks. I know I am on an old version but I prefer it at the moment. The problem was simply with Google, not Firefox, I have found the answer (simply use the 'see Google in English' button on the Google home page! )